StoreEver Tape Storage
1752694 Members
5742 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP MSL2024 Tape Library showing <-Close Mailslot message with flashing "Attention"

Rabbi
Frequent Visitor

HP MSL2024 Tape Library showing <-Close Mailslot message with flashing "Attention" and "Error" light

Our  HP MSL2024 is currently displaying the "Close Mailslot" message while all the catridges are close. Also, the "Attention" and "Error" indicator bulbs are blinking with amber lights. In this mode, all the "Home", "Enter", "Forward" and "Backward" buttons don't respond. 

I have manually openned the left and right catridges and found that there was no tape in the first slot in the left catridge. I have now loaded this slot manually but nothing has changed. Does anyone know what to do next?

8 REPLIES 8
tapelibraryfixr
Trusted Contributor

Re: HP MSL2024 Tape Library showing <-Close Mailslot message with flashing "Attention"

have you tried rebooting the unit?

as the buttons dont respond it sounds like a controller issue

Rabbi
Frequent Visitor

Yes, I have power cycled the unit and it returns to the initial state. However, I found that the buttons respond fine when the two catridges are open.

tapelibraryfixr
Trusted Contributor

you could try upgrading the firmware.

its normally down to a picker or controller problem

Curtis_Ballard
HPE Pro

I hate to say it but it sounds like that may be indication of a worn out picker.  There is a flexible cable on the picker that bends as the picker moves and if that cable breaks the picker loses connection to sensors.  This sounds like a case where the sensor on the picker isn't able to detect that the mailslot is closed.

You may be able to log into the web interface and reconfigure it to disable the mailslot but I don't recall for certain whether that disabled looking for the mailslot being closed.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

Rabbi
Frequent Visitor

I have just disabled the mailslot but the error light and message are still there. 

The website will not allow me to download the latest firmware. It needs me to link my account to the machine's support, package and warranty agreements which require some weird Service Agreement ID (SAID) and support account reference (SAR) numbers. Does anyone know how I can get the SAID and SAr numbers?

Curtis_Ballard
HPE Pro

I really doubt that a firmware update is going to make any difference but if you are willing to be contacted via email I could take a look at logs.  This tool no longer allows posting logs here for security reasons.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

Rabbi
Frequent Visitor

Sure, send an email to me via ac.ezeribe@gmail.com so I can forward the log to you.

In the meantime, can anyone help to generate the Service Agreement ID (SAID) and support account reference (SAR) numbers for me so I can update the firmware?

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

> can anyone help to generate the Service Agreement ID (SAID)

You would have to be in warranty or pay for support.