StoreEver Tape Storage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: HP StorageWorks 1/8 G2 Tape Autoloader with LTO4 - ENCRYPTION HOW IT WORK ?

Highlighted
Advisor

HP StorageWorks 1/8 G2 Tape Autoloader with LTO4 - ENCRYPTION HOW IT WORK ?

What do I need for using emmbeded hardware encryption in LTO4 drive when use HP StorageWorks 1/8 G2 Tape Autoloader with the non HP software (for example ArcServe) ?

Really I need MSL Encryption kit or encryption may be used without it, if I don't need automation for key managment process?
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

There are two ways you can use the encryption features.

1) The MSL Encryption kit - provides a secure USB token that will generate and store encryption keys.

2) Use a backup application with encryption control built in. The applicaton will generate and store the encryption keys. I don't know if ArcServe has encryption management for LTO-4.

Highlighted
Advisor

Thank you, Curtis !
I will try specify a question. Can I to use hardware encoding in HP StorageWorks 1/8 G2 Tape Autoloader with LTO4 without MSL Encryption kit and backup application with encryption control built in?
Can I use Ntbackup for example, and keys for encoding to enter in hardware manually ?
Highlighted
Advisor

And I hear something about "Native Mode Encryption" on LTO4 with entering key manually to hardware and encryption all tapes with this key.

How to enable this feature ?
Honored Contributor

The MSL encryption kit provides encryption control without any application requirements.

If you have software like Netbackup, Data Protector, or other that supports encryption then the MSL encryption kit is not needed.

The hardware has encryption capability built in. The only piece that has to be added is a method of putting keys into the drive.

There is no 'Native mode' available. The closest thing is the MSL encryption kit which provides the key generator and lets you choose the policy for how often to change the key.