StoreEver Tape Storage
1748205 Members
4636 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP StorageWorks 1/8 VS80 - Cannot detect autoloader, but only the drive

Francisco Leong

HP StorageWorks 1/8 VS80 - Cannot detect autoloader, but only the drive

Hi, i have a problem with a new HP StorageWorks AutoLoader 1/8 VS80. It is connected to an Adaptec 29160 SCSI adapter and I think it is properly terminated.

The SCSI ID is the default one, 5 and it is the only SCSI device connected to the SCSI HBA.

However, none of the software can detect the presence of the autoloader, and the system is able to detect the tape drive itself only. In LT&T, there is a error message in show details as follows:

---
Checking for redundant devices.
Redunant device listing. Device PHD5E02976 listed with paths 2/0.5.0 and 2/0.5.1.
Removing redundant device at path 2/0.5.0.
---

I perceive that 5.1 should be detected as autoloader, while 5.0 should be detected as the drive itself. But it is not. Now, 5.1 is detected as a standalone drive. I can't upgrade firmware nor do anything using LT&T. The same thing happens with Data Protector. It can't find the robotic library and can only detect the drive as a standalone drive.

Can anyone share some lights on this issue? Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
Lewis Finch
Honored Contributor

Check to see if LUN support in enabled on the SCSI controller
"You can't lead the orchestra without turning your back to the crowd"
Francisco Leong

Thanks for your reply. I've already enabled BIOS support for Multi LUN using CTRL+A for the SCSI adapter. The BIOS can detect multiple LUN during boot. But still, it cannot detect the robotic library.

I believe that the SCSI card itself is OK, because I can make backups to the tape drive (read and write) if I configure the drive as standalone (using the SCSI device number 5.0). I just can't use the device number 5.1 (robotic library) inside Data Protector. It can't be detected using LT&T either. The "Upgrade firmware" menu item is dimmed inside LT&T too.

What else can I do? Thanks!
Lewis Finch
Honored Contributor

you don't say what O/S you are running but if it is Windows, disable Removable Storage in Services and see if this helps
"You can't lead the orchestra without turning your back to the crowd"
Francisco Leong

Thanks for your reply! I am using Windows and yes, I've already disabled Removable Storage before posting to the forum. In fact, I haven't installed any of the Windows drivers yet. I tried installing it once but it couldn't detect the media changer, only the tape drive itself. But LT&T can only detect PART of the drive, not the whole of it. Now, it is very troublesome and frustrating. I can only backup by manually importing and exporting the slots and the autoloader can't be controlled by software.
Francisco Leong

I am beginning to suspect that it is a firmware problem of the tape library. Since I cannot upgrade it using HP TapeTools, I wonder if anyone can give me hints on how to make a firmware update tape in Windows? I try to reload the firmware to see if it works better. Thanks!
Jose Oropeza

Hi, My name is Jose.

I have same problem that you with a my new HP StorageWorks AutoLoader 1/8 VS80.

can you resolve the problem with your HP StorageWorks 1/8 VS80?.

Thak for your help.

Hi ALL

I have the same problems.I'm using netbackup software .when I add a robot and select Robot device ,it pop up a dialogue :

No robotic libraries were found on this device host .how can i do to find the robotic libraries ?

Thanks for all reply.