1752785 Members
6256 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP Storageworks 72 DAT USB

ORONDO JONES
Occasional Contributor

HP Storageworks 72 DAT USB

I am tring to perform a backup on a machine that is running Windows 2003 Enterprise Edition SP2

I am unable to communicate with the tape unit. When I look at the Device manager, I see a warning exclamation mark and upon looking at the driver information I see the following message:

"Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)"

I have done the following:

(1) Removed drivers that originally came with CD and downloaded the latest drivers which came out in March 2007

(2) Uninstalled HP Storage software (driver included) and remove
the device and try a fresh install with all the latest HP software.

(3) Gone out to Microsoft and searched their vast knowledge base and I have found some information about code 19 but the information is not directly related to my problem. I see information about other operating systems and different devices but nothing specific to my OS and usb device.

If the only thing left is to manually edit the Registry can anyone give me an idea about what needs to be removed and/or changed?

If there is a better(safer) solution, please let me know.
4 REPLIES 4
Russell C. Smith
Valued Contributor

Re: HP Storageworks 72 DAT USB

Hi Orondo,

Whilst I'm not particularly familiar with your error here are my suggestions:

A) Try plugging the tape drive into a different USB port and install as per the installation guide provided with the DAT 72. Windows tends to create separate entries in the registry for each USB port.

B) If you are still having the same problem, or don't have any other USB ports to plug the DAT 72 into, I'd recommend the following:

1) Unplug the DAT 72 USB tape drive and completely uninstall all the software you've installed for it.

2) Backup your registry by doing:
START > RUN > "regedit" > Right-click "My Computer" > "Export" > name & save.

3) Avoid manually editing the registry. Based on your issue it sounds like the registry entries associated with your DAT 72 are corrupt. I recommend that you use a registry cleaning tool to remove all missing/invalid entries you may have in your registry. For obvious reasons I'd officially recommend using a paid tool that offers some degree of warranty however my personal experience with free registry cleaners is that they can be quite good. TweakNow RegCleaner, in particular, has a very thorough expert mode clean setting. Of course, this is just my own personal opinion.

4) Once you've cleaned your registry, re-install your tape drive by following the steps in the installation guide provided with the DAT 72 USB.

Hope this helps. As a last comment, if any of the above does help and you are able to successfully resolve your issue, please remember to close this thread so that it gets tagged with an icon showing that a solution was found.

Thanks,
Russell
ORONDO JONES
Occasional Contributor

The idea to use a registry cleaner is great and I have used a registry tool. The tool did fix some problems (the ones it deemed safe to automatically fix) but it left others for me to manually change/remove.

The problem is that I don't know what needs to be removed.
engfelt
Occasional Advisor

When I run WindowsUpdate to update the driver, I also get a yellow exclamation mark in Device Manager and it cannot be used. If I update the driver to the old one: 2005-07-06, version 1.5.3.1 , it works fine again. Perhaps problems with newer drivers?
ashok swarnkar

please i want dat 72 drivers