StoreEver Tape Storage
1752661 Members
5627 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP STORAGEWORKS DAT 72 PROBLEM

SAMLEE

HP STORAGEWORKS DAT 72 PROBLEM

HP Proliant ML330 G3 server. HP Storageworks DAT72 int SCSI.
Last year around september, the internal SCSI DAT 72 drive become problem. Backup failed daily. Backup was running 1-2 hours and will stop, and even logged "media failed to mount" and the clean light always blink. After clean still having problem. I have replace with a new unit. a new DAT 72 internal SCSI drive. It works fine all the time until now, again the drive having same problem. Clean light always blink. After clean, the light went off, but the next scheduled backup still unable to complete.
I have clean it several times, change different media, update firmware..but all still the same.
I run the LTT library tool, the support ticket show the head drive still good.
My backup file (exchange,sbs file++) only about 50GB+. The backup is run at midnight and normally it took 3-4 hours to complete the backup.
Any Idea?
This is a second unit just for couple month. And the parts doesn't have warranty.
How to repair? Or do I go for other solution, other thatn HP DAT tape drive??
Any comment are welcome.
TQ
2 REPLIES 2
D Wong
Regular Advisor

Re: HP STORAGEWORKS DAT 72 PROBLEM

Hi SAMLEE:

Some basics for best practices for any production backup operation - rotate your tape media to prevent the media from wearing out.

Typically, you want to have enough tape cartridges to rotate your media to use only once a week.

Remove any tape cartridges from your tape rotation if they tapes cartridge has media errors, that is if you get media errors on two consecutive scheduled backup jobs and the drive has to be clean after each of the jobs.

Dave W.
SAMLEE

Re: HP STORAGEWORKS DAT 72 PROBLEM

Tape are rotated daily. Tape are change daily. I have daily backup to different tape. But Seem changing different doesn't help much. It could be the Tape drive failure.
I did clean the drive daily but doesn't help much. Backup still failed, unable to backup all data..
Seem that tape drive doesn't reliable, I might go for other backup option.