StoreEver Tape Storage
1752626 Members
4838 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP StorageWorks Dat 72 USB Drive capacity problem

Aneel Rahim

HP StorageWorks Dat 72 USB Drive capacity problem

I have a problem since i purchased above mentioned device. every time when i backup files on the tape using NTBackup i am getting less than 50 GB on 1 tape and not the whole 72 GB. i have upgraded the firmware also but the capacity problem is still there. USB device is connected to USB 2.0 Port. the tape device is connected to Windows server 2003 SP1 machine.

one more problem i saw in the past 2 weeks i cannot install HP LIBRARY and TAPE TOOLS on my Server 2003 SP1 machine. at start of the installation the process run smoothly and at the end of installation attached error comes every time and the installation ends. in the event viewer i saw event id 11708 appears everytime the installation fails.

my major problem is of backup capacity which is not consuming whole 72 GB of space. if anyone can solve this single problem on urgent basis i would be very thankful.
waiting for reply.
3 REPLIES 3
TTr
Honored Contributor

Re: HP StorageWorks Dat 72 USB Drive capacity problem

It looks like you are getting the full use of the drive/capacity. Please see my reply in

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1275996
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi,

The 72GB capacity assumes that all data can be compressed with a 2:1 ratio.

In reality not all data can be compressed by that amount - for example zip files, which are already compressed, cannot be compressed further.

The capacity of a 72GB drive could be anywhere between 36GB and 72GB.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Rob
Aneel Rahim

Thank you for the information. Although there are zip files which are backed up from the data but 70 to 80% data is word, excel, ppt, pdf, and some other type of files. But I am still confused about the problem. I remember it gave me 69 GB backed up data couple of times. Some time it gives 48 GB sometime 58 GB. So that├в s why I am little bit confused about the actual issue.

It would be great if you could also help me on the other issue that I cannot install HP LIBRARY AND TAPE TOOLS on server 2003 SP1 R2. Any suggestions?