cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP StorageWorks LTO-4 Ultrium 1840 not detected on HP Data Protector

Highlighted
Occasional Visitor

HP StorageWorks LTO-4 Ultrium 1840 not detected on HP Data Protector

i have and HP StorageWorks LTO-4 Ultrium 1840 SCSI installed on a IBM X Series 226 server. I've installed the latest drivers on Windows. I tested the drive with tape tools and I could use it with NTbackup but, I hp data protector express doesn't see the device.
Can anybody bring me some light ?

Thanks in advance
Javier Alexis Toledano

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: HP StorageWorks LTO-4 Ultrium 1840 not detected on HP Data Protector

Some times Microsoft's Removable Storage Manager will interfere with tape drive or library detection, so I'd make sure that that service is turned off.

Make sure that you're not using Library and Tape Tools or NTBackup at the same you are trying to discover the tape in Data Protector Express (or any other backup application) -- since tape drives can not be accessed by multiple applications concurrently, each process tends to grab the device for exclusive access.

Other things I'd look for would be to make sure that the SCSI controller is a standard SCSI controller (i.e., not a RAID controller or anything else 'fancy'). Many HP SmartArray controllers support tape drives, but I can't vouch for other manufacturers'.

If none of the above helps, please let me know.
--
Liberty breeds responsibility; Government breeds dependence
Highlighted
Occasional Visitor

Thanks for your answer,

When I Installed HP Data Protector it disabled Microsoft's Removable Storage Manager service.

I think the problem arised because I have an IBM Serveraid 6i Controller, as you suggests me.
I installed the Tape Drive on an IBM server Xseries 226 to avoid buying an SCSI Bus Adapter.
I am going to by HP U320E SCSI BUS ADAPTER and see if HP DATA Protector detects the Tape Drive

Thanks again.
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

It's confusing that you could run a backup with NTBackup, but not with Data Protector Express*... but it's possible it's the controller issue. Windows Device Manager sees the tape drive OK? And is this a standalone tape drive, or in a library or autoloader?

*Data Protector and Data Protector Express are two different products, even though much of the name is the same!

And... before you go spending money on a new SCSI controller, consider uninstalling Data Protector Express and downloading an eval copy of either Data Protector 6.11, or one of the other mainstream backup applications (BackupExec or ARCserve, for instance) and see if that finds the drive.

Oh -- just in case, what version of Data Protector Express are you running?
--
Liberty breeds responsibility; Government breeds dependence
Highlighted
Occasional Visitor

It's confusing as you said. Windows Device Manager sees the tape drive ok and when I run the Revomable Storage service I can ntbackup without problems.

It's a standalone drive. I have an IBM serveraid 6i Controller. On channel 1 lies the tape drive with an SCSI ID = 6 and on channel 2 lie 4 scsi disks.

I've installed HP DATA PROTECTOR EXPRESS Single Server Edition version 4.00-sp1
It came on a CD with the Tape Drive.

I will try with other backup applications as you suggests me and I'll see if they see the drive

Thanks Again

*Data Protector and Data Protector Express are two different products, even though much of the name is the same!

And... before you go spending money on a new SCSI controller, consider uninstalling Data Protector Express and downloading an eval copy of either Data Protector 6.11, or one of the other mainstream backup applications (BackupExec or ARCserve, for instance) and see if that finds the drive.

Oh -- just in case, what version of Data Protector Express are you running?