StoreEver Tape Storage
1748230 Members
4075 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP Ultrium 460 External Problems Wrong Personality

Mark Expedian

HP Ultrium 460 External Problems Wrong Personality

I'm repairing an Ultrium 460 for a customer. The drive ate a tape which I manually removed. I'm now trying to update the firmware (seems to be stuck in boot code). Unfortunately none of the firmware files work and it says wrong personality.

Can I use the factory override? Why is it protected with a password? What happens when it goes EOL?
6 REPLIES 6
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

Re: HP Ultrium 460 External Problems Wrong Personality

only the right FW can be loaded, the personality is a key that verify this situation.
For example a drive for a library is different than a drive stand alone
a drive with fc interface is different than a drive with scsi interface
a OEM drive is different than a HP drive
each have it own personality and accept only the right FW
you should look at the Product number and see what is that drive then found the right FW
The factory override was usually used for Optical devices where you should force a FW because it stay in boot mode, that can only be done by a HP engineer with special password, I do not think this can allow you to force a FW upgrade on a wrong personality LTO drive
Mark Expedian

I got the password for the factory override, still stuck.

This is an HP branded external drive (OEM/9), I'm not selecting the wrong firmware.

L&TT is coming up in restricted mode so I can't set the option to override HWID or Personality. I can try manual identify but every time I set it, it loses the drive and I have to scan again.

What should it be manually set to? I tried ultrium and common drive.

Any other ideas?
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

Could be the drive is brain dead.
also the drive should be ready before you can flash the fw, if there is a problem in the initialization because of a sensor damaged you may end up in this condition.

in case here below the ftp site with all the OEM/9 FW versions, just browse the list:
ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/information_storage/software/ltt/firmware/
Mark Expedian

I tried all fw. It always errors because the personality is messed up. Its definitely brain dead. When it takes a tape it gives a drive error and the tape has to be manually removed.

Any way to read the error code or recover the firmware? If I could get L&TT to start up in any mode but restricted I'd be able to flash firmware.

Is there any way to read what personality the drive thinks it is?

Linux or 3rd party tools that don't fall all over themselves like hp's.
Mark Expedian

OEM string in linux is 8 numbers long.
Mark Expedian

I got it to say OEM/9 and try to update but the update fails.