108794 Solutions
New Discussion

HP Ultrium Lto4 tape drive

SOLVED
Go to solution
0sbourn
Frequent Visitor

HP Ultrium Lto4 tape drive

Just got this Lto4 tape drive and its connected to an adaptec ultrawide 320 scsi card. With a new IBM Lto4 tape installed the drive is continually shoe shing. I have tested the drive using the HPE Library and Tape Tools and it appears to be ok. This drive is immacualte and has done little or no work. I have used every block size but no difference. The Lto3  I previously had  whizzed along and this is why I need to find a solution. I will outline my use for the drive and this practice has served me well. I image my system drive with acronis then  using Uranium Backup I backup the image to tape. I also image a lot of other stuff using the method. Has anybody any ideas. . Right now the 320 gig bacvku p is stuck at 1759 MB and going slow shoe shinng something terrible. Is it the fact that the image file is compressed the issue, it never affected the Lto3.

1 REPLY 1
0sbourn
Frequent Visitor
Solution

Re: HP Ultrium Lto4 tape drive

Hi Guys I solved that issue with the LTO4 tape drive. I removed the drive and put the LTO3 back in that was whizzing along but it too was now going slow. I figured the scsi card was common to both so I removed the scsi card from its slot and put it into a different slot. Fired the pc back up and ran a test backup and the LTO3 drive was back to its original speed. Then I tried the LTO4 and its currently backing up at 5.3 GB/min purring like cat. So happy days and cheers to all who replied to my question. I keep the block size to 64 K as it appears that this is the drives recommended size. I dont know enough beyond that as all I use the drive for is to keep a copy of iso images of my drives in case something happens and it did one time so I just dumped the iso onto a drive and let acronis recoved the system.