1753524 Members
5429 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Incompatible Media

jignesh patel

Incompatible Media

i have a problem to taking backup with data protector 3.5,
here i have to take backup on weekly basis, and backup is large 300 gb or more that's why reqire 2 or 3 tapes. and 1st week taps are reuse in 4th week.
my problem is that. when i taking backup one error is displayed "incompatible media" always.
and backup not start. and i m change tape but same problem. only backup start when i insert fresh tape. please suggest me...
so i what can do? for this problem.

please need full in this metter.
5 REPLIES 5
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

Where is the "incompatible media" message reported? Does DP report that or the tape library report that?

What type of library do you have?

What type of drives do you have in your library?

What type of media are you using?

What is the barcode on the tape?

Please provide as much information as possible if you want some tips.
jignesh patel

thanks for reply.

i have hpml-350 server with storage works 1500 cs with 2 msa 20,,,

when the job started,in dp-3.5 sp1, incompitible media msg displayed... and this is dp report,

and i have ultrim 920 tape drive and

hp ultrim 3 LTO tape(800 GB )use for taking backup.

jignesh patel

waiting for u r reply????
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

It's always helpful if you provide as much information as you can about an issue. I still can't tell for certain what problem you are seeing.

My best guess from what you have posted is that you are using Data Protector Express and this is the error message that it reports when a tape that is provided is not available for this job. It can be assigned to a different data set, may contain a job that isn't expired, or the application may be looking for a specific tape and this isn't it. From your problem statement it sounds like you may not have expired the backup on the tape so it isn't availabe.

You may bet better help if you post this to a software forum. This group tends to be monitored mostly by hardware people.
Willem Versteegt

Hello Jignesh,

Please read what was written in http://forums12.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=1256642

It also has to do with "Incompatible media".

Hope this is clear and helpful to you.

Kind regards

Willem Versteegt