108756 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Issue upgrading firmware on MSL4048

John Jimenez
Super Advisor

Issue upgrading firmware on MSL4048

A couple of months ago we installed an MSL4048 tape library and had

MSL4048_6.70.frm

I have an identical libary at my D.R. location but that one has MSL4048_5.30.

I was having issue importing a tape in data protector. It complained that the backup shold be in 256kb blocks not 64kb

The D.P. patches are the same, so I though I would upgrade the firmware. The JAVA GUI going through the WAN is really slow, so I copied the file to the only server off site. so I PCAnywhered into that Server and copied the file from my XP PC to that Windows 2000 server and began the upgrade. It has been running for about an hour ago and the flashing is still at 0%. I just remembered about the different O.S.'s (XP vs. windows 2000) and maybe thats why it is hanging.

Is there a save way to stop the Upgrade? I do not see a "stop" or "Cancel" anywhere.
Hustle Makes things happen
7 REPLIES 7
Colin Butcher
Esteemed Contributor

How are you doing the firmware update? I usually find it best to use the built-in web management interface within the tape library and simply download the firmware image directly.

You'll find the individual firmware images within the LTT firmware update package.

As for stopping a firmware update part-way through - I guess it depends how far the library thinks it's got. Again, the web management interface might help show you the library status. If it's not obviously doing anything, then restarting the library (without a power-cycle) would be probably worth trying. Or, just try doing the firmware update via the web interface directly, ignoring whatever LTT is up to.

Good luck.

Cheers, Colin (http://www.xdelta.co.uk).
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem (Occam's razor).
John Jimenez
Super Advisor

Yes that is the way I was installing it. When I left it still said that the flashing was at 0% for 3 hours. I tried to click on reboot and waited 30 more mintues.... nothing.

This morning I logged into it and it now says the Firmware did change from 5.30/1.70e to 6.70/1.70e. But the library her in production that was installed a couple of months ago and upgraded with this same firmware says 6.70/2.70e. I wonder why this one says 1.70e sitll?

Also status says Robitic Error Inv. Rob. Code 83 02. I am going to try rebooting it and see if the error goes away.
John Jimenez
Super Advisor

The reboot did not resolve the robtic error . I am going to assume that upgrading the tape drive firmware will. I upgraded the library through the Web management inteface, but I did it from a old machine running windows 2000. I think maybe thats why it took overnight for it to finish.
I just realized that some new servers were installed at the location with windows 2003. I will upgrade the firmware through one of those servers let you know what happens..
John Jimenez
Super Advisor

fyi I am upgrading drives from M22W to M63W, in order for the MSL4048 library at D.R. to match the MSL4048 library here in production.
John Jimenez
Super Advisor

I instead decided to re-install the library patch from the new Server over there. This time it only took a couple of minutes and now it changed to 6.70/2.70e and shows no errors. I am now in the middle of installing the drive firmware.
John Jimenez
Super Advisor

All's good. The drive patches are now installed too.
John Jimenez
Super Advisor

thanks again