7113 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Issue with two 1/8 G2 Autoloaders on one SCSI chain

Matthew Western
Occasional Contributor

Issue with two 1/8 G2 Autoloaders on one SCSI chain

Hi,

I have 2 backup servers i am consolidating to 1 server from two different sites because we now have a high speed wireless to syncronize across.

I want to put both of the 1/8 G2 Autoloaders on one scsi chain so our Backup Exec sees them both.

I have changed the SCSI id and made doubley sure that I have the external scsi cable correctly connected (ie one to the server, connected together and one with the terminator - which has a little light to show termination is working).

When they are both plugged in it detects both devices but the second one detects as a nonsense device for both the tape drive and the changer. see attachement screen shot.

running either device by themselves detects as you would expect.

same firmware on both. exactly the same tape loaders.

Product ID 1x8 G2 AUTOLDR
Currently Installed Autoloader Firmware 1.30 / 1.70n
Bootcode Firmware Revision 0.60

any suggestions?

thanks
Matt
3 REPLIES 3
thomasr
Respected Contributor

Are these attached to the SmartArray controller, or to a separate SCSI HBA? I don't believe HP supports two tape devices on a SmartArray controller. This family of libraries/autoloaders is a bit different than the array controller expects because of how the robot and master tape drive are both on the same SCSI ID.

If it's a separate HBA (of if there's a reference to it being supported somewhere), please list HBA model number and firmware, Server model number, and OS.
--
Liberty breeds responsibility; Government breeds dependence
Matthew Western
Occasional Contributor

Hi Thomasr,

thanks for the response. sad. yes their are ont the same SCSI card (HBA?) inline. that would explain why it doesn't work properly. I have the other old card from the other server so i might see if that fits in the same server so I have two cards, one running a tape changer each.

thanks heaps for the help/response.

Matthew
TapeDrive Killer 1 2
Trusted Contributor

Hp doesn't support daisy chaining these devices if you dont have any other choise then I would try to use the deteced loader at the end of the chain, remember also that the In port goes on top and out on botton so terminator should be on the botton anyway the best fix would be to have each loader on a separate bus.

Pablo Alvarado Siles
Pablo Alv Siles