1752579 Members
3538 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

L&TT for mac

adrianlambert
Occasional Contributor

L&TT for mac

tried installing this on mac 10.6 server. no errors reported but no application is placed in the applications directory.

is there a way to get this going on snow leopard.

We have rather old firmware on our Storageworks msl4048 library and drive and no way that i can see to upgrade them. The web interface seems to do firmware updates but i can't find the patch files.

any tips?

7 REPLIES 7
gervais519
Occasional Advisor

Re: L&TT for mac

You need to run the application through terminal. The terminal command to open it is "hp_ltt"

adrianlambert
Occasional Contributor

OK tried that, but the tape drive listed as Ultrium 3-SCSI with firmware D21W says that new firmware can't be found. It hasn't been updated since the machine was new a few years back. Would this be correct.

Also the tape library storageworks msl4048  doesn't show up at all in the scan.

gervais519
Occasional Advisor

I am not familiar with using L&TT for Ultrium-3's but you would need to download the latest firmware from the HP Support website. Then that firmware file needs to be placed in User/*username*/Library/Application Support/Hewlett-Packard/LTT/ firmware. Then when you run "hp_ltt" you can select the device and run the firmware update and it will find the firmware file and complete the update.

the firmware may have to be in a different folder structure since it is a different drive and I am basing this all on the Ultrium 3000 LTO 5 decks. But if it is the same L&TT, then I'm assuming the folder structure would be the same. If not, on the HP Support site their should be a guide for the firmware placement. If not, a google search would help you as it did for myself.

adrianlambert
Occasional Contributor

attached is a screen grab of the results for a search for Ultrium 3-scsi on the HP support pages.

Nothing of any use.

thomasr
Respected Contributor

Here's the link to the firmware bundle for Library and Tape Tools from October 2010, which includes MSL4048 and LTO-3 drive firmware.   The challenge is that it's a Windows executable.   I believe you can extract it and move the contents to your Macintosh, and then isntall from there by pointing L&TT to the correct location.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=406729&swItem=co-70563-14&mode=4&idx=0

The drives in libraries should alwas be updated with firmware files that are designed for that drive in that library.  The drive itself and library should be upgraded together with appropriate firmware (you would not want to upgrade only your drive and leave the library at -2 years).

Unfortunately, these drives have two 'names' -- making the right firmware a bit hard to find if you search for Ultrium-3 -- in this case, an Ultrium-3 drive could be also known as either an Ultrium 960 (full height) or Ultrium 920 (half height).   Without looking at quickspecs, I think that the SCSI interface was only used in the full-height drives.

My suggestion for future firmware searches is to start at http://www.hp.com/go/support and type in the name of the library -- MSL 4048.  You then should be able to find the firmware you need pretty easily (especially for Windows, it seems).     The other query I used was "msl 4048 LTT" (LTT for Library and Tape Tools), which returned the link to the firmware I list above.

--
Liberty breeds responsibility; Government breeds dependence
adrianlambert
Occasional Contributor

thanks, taking me a while to get onto this, but i have found a label on the back of the drive stating it's a 920. (whoops - can't believe i didn't look here) I've also found that stuffit expander will extract .exe files. I think I'll be able to upgrade the drive with the LTT for mac 10.5 and upgrade the library from the web config.

If you don't hear back from me within the next few days, I was successful.

thomasr
Respected Contributor

> If you don't hear back from me within the next few days, I was successful.

Well, that, or it really all blew up.   <grin>

--
Liberty breeds responsibility; Government breeds dependence