5173 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: LIbrary & Tape Tools not finding FC attached devices

Rodd Masteller
Advisor

LIbrary & Tape Tools not finding FC attached devices

Hello,

I have a HP DL380G4 running NetWare 6.5 sp8 and Arcserve 11.1 SP3. It has a QLogic card (QL2x00.HAM = v7.00.01) connected to an MSA4000 and an MSL6030.

I'm having hard drive problems during backups (tapes stay tuck in drive, server abends when tape formatting, etc.) and one thing I know is that my tape drive and changer have old firmware. I've downloaded and copied LTT to the proper folder, but I can't get it to scan for devices without error.

For example, I load the .nlm, choose (1) for a Hardware Scan, and the X moves to hardware scan. I don't know what to do from there, so I press Enter to get into the command help screen. I then press (3) to start the specified scan. At that point, I get the following error:

OC_Exception_c caught: Internal error (oc_deviceaccess_nw.cpp, 484, Unable to retrieve device handle)

So, I can't scan devices which, of course, prevents me from upgrading firmware.

Can any of you help me? I've attached the latest LTT log file.
12 REPLIES 12
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

1. Did you mean an EVA4000?

2. How is your SAN Switch zoning set up?

3. What other devices are on the SAN? (Server wise)

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Rodd Masteller
Advisor

Steven,

Yes, EVA!! We do have an old MSA1000 in a different facility - I was typing too fast.

I'm not sure about the zoning, I'm not a "SAN Guy", but he does sit across from me. I'll find out.

There are 12 NetWare boxes running producting file/print and one Windows box that runs Command View and other SAN management applications. All the data that is presented to the production file/print is snapcloned. That snapcloned data is presented to the NetWare backup server running Arcserve. So, the data (vDisks? Containers?) being backed up are only visible to the one server. I hope that makes sense and answers your question.
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

"...only visible to the one server. I hope that makes sense and answers your question."

My concern is not with the visibility of the virtual disks, but rather the "traffic to and from" the EVA, tape library and other servers on the SAN.

The SAN, after all, is like 1 big shared SCSI bus.

Steven
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE
Rodd Masteller
Advisor

SAN Guy says:

"We have a dual SAN setup, single switch each, between the MSL and the host. One switch has the MSL port 29:7f and backup server port 20:00:00:e0:8b:83:3e:8b in a zone together. Both are logged into the
fabric. The other switch has the backup server port 20:00:00:e0:8b:83:3e:8b in the fabric, but it's not in a zone with any
port that looks like it's on the MSL."

The MSL only has one FC interface, so that makes sense to me that it would only be in one zone.
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

I am asking because zoning can lead to SAN related issues that can not be explained easily. It sounds like the zoning might be ok, but to check, can you have your SAN guy output the commands..

Brocade based switches:
zoneshow
cfgshow

Cisco based switches:
show running

these are telnet or ssh commands.

One of the things you can do, depending on if you feel comfortable with it, is zone the Command View server and the tape library's nsr togetther and run the windows version of ltt and see if you can diag it that way.

"The MSL only has one FC interface, so that makes sense to me that it would only be in one zone."

Yep, the library comes standard with a single fibre port nsr with 2 scsi ports(usually). It can only be connected to one fabric (one san switch), but it can be zones to multiple servers.

Steven
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE
Rodd Masteller
Advisor

I'm getting closer. CA Arcserve wants to use it's own hardware drivers, so we rename NWTAPE.CDM when installing it. I renamed it back to normal and loaded it. It now starts to scan for devices, then after a few moments comes up with that same error I put in my initial post. I think this is all driver related. I'll look for NetWare library/changer drivers.
LTT Team
Valued Contributor

Hi,

I noticed the log files were not attached in the first thread. Can you upload the log files? The Eventlog.ltt can be found in sys:\system\hp_ltt\logs directory.

The error message indicates LTT is unable to get an handle to a HBA adapter for some reason.

Please let us know the list of SCSI/FC adapters connected in the system.

Regards,
Satya
LTT Team
Rodd Masteller
Advisor

Sorry about the attachment. I hope it works this time.
LTT Team
Valued Contributor

The log wasn't much of a help however I noticed there are three unbound device objects at
3.2.0 -> [V599-A3-D2:0]
3.2.2 -> [V599-A3-D2:2]
3.2.1 -> [V599-A3-D2:1]
and
3.2.3 -> [V599-A3-D2:3] HP NS E1200-160. Using the last entry, I believe the above unbound device objects are related to the MSL library. Would it be possible to display the output of 'list storage adapters'? Please check if the tape drives are listed. Generally, the robotics will be listed as the unbound device object but the drives would be listed with their names.

Alternatively, we could try entering the physical address manually. The steps would be
- load hp_ltt
In LTT UI,
enter command> 2 ! to select saved/manual scan
enter command> continue
enter command> enterHWAddrManual ! to enter the manual scan
- in the dialog box enter the physical address of any of the unbound objects.
enter command> 1 ! if the device is listed
enter command> firmware ! to enter firmware session

Regards,
Satya