StoreEver Tape Storage
1752661 Members
6049 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: LTO-1 tapes reduced capacity

Bruce Ronk

LTO-1 tapes reduced capacity

I am erasing some HP LTO-1 backup tapes from 2002 but they are coming out with a capacity of only 50GB, instead of their original rated 100GB. Other tapes from this year (of different brands) erase to 100GB. These tapes were originally in a LTO-1 drive, but I now am using a LTO-2 drive (Storageworks Ultrium 448). Is there a way to get their full capacity back?
3 REPLIES 3
meloni
Honored Contributor

if I remember well there was LTO1 cartridges with 50 GB capacity and cartridges with 100 GB capacity.
you can also run LTT and collect a support ticket with that tape inserted in the drive, and attach it here, I will have a look
marino
---------------X-------------------X--------------------X----------------X--------------
If everything is under control, you are going too slow (Mario Andretti)
Bruce Ronk

OK, maybe I used to know this, but forgot. Yes, apparently the C7970A cartridges are only 50GB capacity, though they are labeled 100GB, and the literature doesn't refer to the compression assumption. My other brands that are labeled 100GB are 100GB native capacity.

I've attached an LTT support ticket. This tape still has the old data on it, and it shows 50GB native. I presume I can do the firmware update via LTT?
meloni
Honored Contributor

the support ticket confirm that this is a 50 GB cartridge.

And yes, you are right, Ltt will allow you to upgrade the firmware to latest release.

Marino
---------------X-------------------X--------------------X----------------X--------------
If everything is under control, you are going too slow (Mario Andretti)