108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: LTO-4 compatibility RHEL 3 Red Hat Enterprise Linux x86

SOLVED
Go to solution
Charlie Nelson
Occasional Contributor

LTO-4 compatibility RHEL 3 Red Hat Enterprise Linux x86

Hi. Looking at 1840 SCSI LTO-4 standalone drive to run on RHEL 3 on Intel x86 32-bit platform. Will these work together? Any drivers required? Any special tricks to it or does it "just work?"

I do not see it under the general hp compatibility list: http://www.hp.com/products1/storage/compatibility/tapebackup/software/14-0003-1002.html#matrixtable

I do see firmware listed at: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=3454488&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=3454484&swLang=13&taskId=135&swEnvOID=1080

Thank you for any insights!
4 REPLIES 4
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

We test that drive extensively with RHEL 4 and RHEL 5 but RHEL 3 is no longer in the environmental test lab. If you pull an old version of the EBS matrix: ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/products/storageworks/techdoc/ebs/EBSMatrix-0608.pdf you can see RHEL 3 listed as supported with that drive.

Charlie Nelson
Occasional Contributor

Thank you. Very handy to access these older documents.

Yes I do see references to the 1840 there and RHEL 3 drivers.
I might infer that with the RHEL 3 drivers the 1840 is supported since both are part of this EBS spec?
Next I will look for the RHEL 3 drivers referenced here. Hopefully docs that accompany the drivers will specify further.
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor
Solution

Yes you may infer that the 1840 listed in that document and RHEL 3 means that they were tested together. That is one area where I don't feel that document has enough explanation. Every device listed has been tested with every OS/HBA listed and is supported unless there is a note specifically exclusing one particular configuration.

The only exclusion I'm aware of with RHEL is that we don't support the Adaptec 29320 HBA on Linux.
Charlie Nelson
Occasional Contributor

Thanks, Curtis - I might have missed that and assumed the 29320 was ok - good heads up!