StoreEver Tape Storage
1748041 Members
5188 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: LTO 4 Tape can't Write more than 800GB, why?!

Alireza  Babri
Frequent Advisor

LTO 4 Tape can't Write more than 800GB, why?!

The senario is:
I have more than 12TB of data and as I set backup job in symantec backupexec. the job fails to write more than 800GB of data to each tape. I think something is wrong with my tape drive as its hardware compression feature is not working correctly.
6 REPLIES 6
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Compression depends on the data. If already compressed, you can't compress it to the "average" compression factors that may be quoted.
Alireza  Babri
Frequent Advisor

I know it depends to the type of data which I am writing on tape. but I have been writing on these tapes same data as before over 1.4TB, but now it is not possible any more!!
I dont know why?
Alireza  Babri
Frequent Advisor

Is there any hardware suspected to be in working inproperly, like the tape contoller board? and the hardware comprssion is not working due to that reason?
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Test it with LTT - http://www.hp.com/support/tapetools

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Ganz
Trusted Contributor

Hi Alireza,

Data compression depends on various factors. The following article should give you the troubleshooting path ::
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=110&prodSeriesId=63910&prodTypeId=12169&objectID=lpg50244
m.amir

Hi Alireza. I think you know me. Vahidi in AFR@NET. yes backup exec apparently have some issues with hardware comprission. But you can set it to use software comprission. I would like to say it's actualy better that the hardware comprission. Because it comresses the files in the source servers and then takes them to the backup server. It cause faster transfer rate than the hardware comprission.
hope it help