1748280 Members
4031 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: LTO 7 tape drive stuck in MS2024 tape library

Frankiddy
Visitor

LTO 7 tape drive stuck in MS2024 tape library

How to remove manually a stucked LTO 7 tape drive in MS2024 tape library.

8 REPLIES 8
tapelibraryfixr
Trusted Contributor

Is the tape in the drive?

if so you could try removing the drive and manually rewinding the tape, there should be a hole on the bottom of the drive. it may take a long time depending how much tape is on the spool.

IBHPE

That might take some time, yes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZD6qC2AQSk

Curtis_Ballard
HPE Pro

Unfortunately manual tape removal from LTO-7 is not as easy as it once was.  We discourage attempting it unless removing the tape all other ways fails.

For an MSL 2024 you should disconnect the data cables from the drive then power cycle the drive using the library user interface or power cycle the entire library to cause the drive to power cycle.  After the power cycle let the drive sit idle for at least one hour as it has to go through a bunch of recovery when power cycled with a tape in the drive.

After the library has been sitting idle for at least an hour go to the library front panel and use the "Support -> Force Drive Eject" option which will instruct the library to run through a series of different drive eject routines to try all known methods of removing the tape from the drive.  Be patient as that can take quite a while.

You could go straight to the front panel force drive eject option without removing cables and power cycling but if the force eject fails then you should remove the cables and power cycle then try it again.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

Frankiddy
Visitor

Hi, Thank you, We tried as you advised but we ddnt manage to make it. Can you advise other way before i attempt to open the drive?

tapelibraryfixr
Trusted Contributor

i doubt opening the drive will help to get the tape out if there tape still on the spool, unless you want to destroy it.

Frankiddy
Visitor

We tried as you advised but we didnt manage to fix the issue, Please check error below from the system and advise

Libctrl task Error - HE: internal SCSI cmd failed with check condition

tapelibraryfixr
Trusted Contributor

the error itself is to vague, but it looks like you need the drive replaced/repaired

davidth

Hi,

same problem for me. I have the drive on my desk directly powered.

Error code is : 9 with an amber led flashing.

When pushing the front button, this flashing green then again display the number 9 with amber led flashing. A moment later, a noise indicates that the drive try to eject tape and then 2 squares are displaying alternatively.

And it goes aganin and again...

This is a tape that had already been stucked and ejected successfully, so I'm sure it can be done, but how at this point ?

Thanks a lot,

David