1748170 Members
3848 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: LTO Ultrium 448

Rachel Chipman
Advisor

LTO Ultrium 448

I am having some issues with my new Ultrium 448 internal LTO drive. I am getting an error in Backup Exec however the drive is recognized by the 2003 server as "working properly". I installed the hp StorageWorks library and tape tools and the drive is being found. However, whenever I click on it in an effort to run diagnostics, I receive this error: " An error occurred while accessing the device, If the device has been hot-plugged or firmware updated then lease try a re-scan to re-discover the deivce."
I have re-scanned several times but it is not working.
What needs to be done to resolve the issue?
11 REPLIES 11
D Wong
Regular Advisor

Hi Rachel:

In order to run LTT software, you need to stop the Backup Exec services. When Backup Exec services is running, the software is preventing access to tape drive from other software e.g. preventing LTT from talking to the tape drive at the same time.

Dave W.
Rachel Chipman
Advisor

All Backup Exec services were already stopped before running the LTT and the error is still occurring. Any other suggestions?
TapeDrive Killer 1 2
Trusted Contributor

Make sure removable Storage Services is stop as well and all services that begin with HP insight. Do you have Symantec drivers on your tape drive?

Pablo Alvarado Siles
Pablo Alv Siles
Rachel Chipman
Advisor

The Removable Storage service was stopped and I didn't see any services starting with HP (or Compaq) Insight and I'm still getting the error.
The drivers are HP drivers (see attached picture)
TapeDrive Killer 1 2
Trusted Contributor

Problem is you need Veritas driver in here

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/287385.htm

Pablo Alvarado Siles
Pablo Alv Siles
Rachel Chipman
Advisor

And where would I find the veritas drivers?

The link takes me to an article about hardware compression.
TapeDrive Killer 1 2
Trusted Contributor

lol sorry wrong link this is the right one

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/199881.htm

Pablo Alvarado Siles
Pablo Alv Siles
D Wong
Regular Advisor

Hi Rachel:

Are you getting an error from LTT software when the software tries to scan for the tape drive?

1) Can you run the LTT test called "Device Test"? Does this test pass? If this test fails try rebooting your server.

2) Can you run the LTT test called "Connectivity Test"? Does this test pass? If this test fails, are the SCSI connections to the tape drive correct? Are any of the SCSI pins bent? Is the SCSI cable damaged? Is the tape drive properly terminated?

3) Can you run the LTT test called Read/Write test? Does the tape drive pass this test? Is your tape cartridge a known good tape cartridge. Also, try a different tape cartridge.

If you pass all three test then your should be working correctly. You try one last test, the LTO Assessment test on the tape drive to see if passes this test. The LTO Assessment test is like a shortened end of production line test for the tape. If the tape drive passes this test then most likely the tape is working.

Dave W.
Rachel Chipman
Advisor

First - Veritas driver has been installed. Still getting error in Windows Event Viewer: "The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Scsi\adpu160m2."

To answer D Wong's questions:

I am unable to run any tests. LTT runs a scan and successfully finds the device and it is displayed in the "By Product" and "By Connection" tab. When I click on the device in either section, it says "Opening library device" and then gives me the error "an error occurred while accessing the device. if the device has been hot-plugged or firmware updated then please try a re-scan to re-discover the device."