StoreEver Tape Storage
1747982 Members
4685 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: LTT Tool - Firmware download broken?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Steven Hirsch
Advisor

LTT Tool - Firmware download broken?

Hi,

I'm trying to upgrade the firmware on an older Compaq DLT7000 tape drive. Using the LTT tool on SuSE Linux 10.0, it recognizes (and can test) the drive. When I select the option to download firmware, it immediately comes back with a failure notice (no specifics) and tells me to try later. This has been going on all day, so I don't think it's a communication issue.

Is there any other means by which I can obtain the appropriate firmware file? The unit is at V097/CPQ-1 at the moment.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Steve
13 REPLIES 13
The Spartan
Trusted Contributor

DO refer the compatibilty matrix for L and TT -

The compatibility matrix which LTT adheres to is at ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/products/storageworks/techdoc/ebs/EBSMatrix-1006.pdf

Well have picked up this link from another thread, hopefully this helps..
If you are keen to win, you should be willing to lose.
The Spartan
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Seems SuSE 10 is not in the support matrix.

i do suse and find it rather flawless - may be you wait for some more posts to pour in..
If you are keen to win, you should be willing to lose.
LTT Team
Valued Contributor

Hi Steve,

Currently, LTT does not support SuSE Enterprise Linux 10. However, we are confident that LTT will run without any hinderance.

LTT could have failed due to improper proxy settings. You can set the proxy settings in LTT by following the below steps

1. Initiate LTT using ├в /opt/ltt/hp_ltt├в command
2. Enter 1 --> and perform an hardware scan
3. Then enter command ├в preference├в for editing the proxy settings
4. It would take you to ├в Main > Preference├в screen
5. Option 7 allows you to set the proxy server name
6. Option 8 allows you to set the proxy port number
7. Then, download firmware from the web

The time taken to download the appropriate file from the web is inversely proportionate to your network speed.

We are unable to pinpoint the exact reason for the failure without the error message. Hence, can you upload the Eventlog.ltt files found in /opt/ltt/logs folder?

Regards,
Satya
Steven Hirsch
Advisor

Hi Satya,

There is no proxy involved and the machine has known-good DNS resolution and connectivity. Actually, the error message returns so quickly that I doubt it has actually even tried to go over the wire.

The fact that I'm using an "unsupported" OS is, IMHO a red-herring. Every other function works just fine and it would be hard to fathom how a basic function like network connectivity could be incompatible. If anything, I'd have expected issues at the scsi device level (which works just fine).

I'll grab an error log this evening and post it. Thanks!
Steven Hirsch
Advisor

Ok,

Here is the log generated when I simply select the tape drive and try to download firmware.
Steven Hirsch
Advisor

For another data point. I tried the firmware download on an older box running RedHat 8.0. Same exact failure!
Steven Hirsch
Advisor

I routed the ltt tool through a dummy proxy to see what it was trying to accomplish. The underlying issue is simple:

It is attempting to do a GET of:

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/information_storage/software/ltt/revdata_new.xml

which would be fine, except that the file does not exist and the HP server returns a 404 - File not found.

Would someone at HP please check this?

Steve
LTT Team
Valued Contributor

Steve, the log file was inconclusive as it didn├в t contain the expected activities or the error message. Which makes us believe that you have a corrupt revdata file installed in your system or you have uploaded a corrupt log file. This may not be the reason behind why you are unable to download the firmware files from the web.

As you are unable to download the firmware in another machine also, I feel you are installing LTT from a corrupt binary. Uninstall LTT and install it from a freshly downloaded binary. This will resolve the revdata file problem.

Once this is resolved, try to download the firmware files using LTT from the Web. If the issue persists, please upload the new EventLog.ltt. (Note: If you are transferring the log to a Windows machine, please transfer them in binary mode to rule out corruption.)

We double checked the link to revdata.xml file and it was reachable. Please confirm if you able to reach this file from the SuSE 10 system.

Regards,
Satya
Steven Hirsch
Advisor

Before either of us goes to any more trouble, can you verify that the LTT is _expected_ to work with an older Compaq-branded (OEM) DLT7000 drive?

The drive has model #: TH6AE-HJ
and serial #: CXA24S1114

LTT was installed from an RPM file, which is checked for integrity automatically. Since the installer didn't complain, I would find it a stretch to believe that this is the problem. I'll go ahead and grab another copy just in case, though.

Thanks for your continued help!