1748272 Members
4070 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Managing tapes in Data Protector Express

szukaczek
Occasional Advisor

Managing tapes in Data Protector Express

I'm using Data Protector Express 3.5 sp2 (build 37634) and I would like to use one set of tapes in two or more backup tasks.

For example I create task X and I set Schedule type on "Run repeatedly" folders are created and I can put tapes in this folders. When task is running it uses tapes from its folders (e.g. "Home\Admin\X\Rotation Media\Daily Rotation Media\Daily Set 5").

When I create task Y and I set Schedule type on "Run repeatetdly" new folders are created for this task and if I want to use tape in this task I need to put it in this folders (e.g. "Home\Admin\Y\Rotation Media\Daily Rotation Media\Daily Set 5")..

For task Y I want to use tapes from folders of task X ("Home\Admin\X\Rotation Media\Daily Rotation Media\"). Even when I'm trying to use media that is unassign to any backup task and is in folder e.g. "Home\Admin\Folder\" it doesn't work. Task always changes its folder (where it search for tapes to use) on its own folder (X folder or Y folder).

Is there any trick that will allow me to use one set of tapes for different tasks or set of tapes that are in different folder than folder of this task?

Thank you in advance for your help.
4 REPLIES 4
TapeDrive Killer 1 2
Trusted Contributor

I understan what you mean, if this is a stand alone drive then you can go to the backup job properties >>> Change mode >>> force to append to end of media.

This will grab any media and append to it.

If the job that you are running is a fullbackup every day then just do a 1 tape rotation job and move all tapes in the unique folder also make sure media is been look there as well as saved there I attached a picture.

If this doesnt help you then specify the rotation you are doing.

Pablo Alvarado Siles
Pablo Alv Siles
szukaczek
Occasional Advisor

It looks like it should work but unfortunately it doesn't. I checked manual about this option and it also says that it should work.

This software changes "Media to be used" and "New media location" by itself.

Option "Force to append to the end of media" stays but Write mode changes from "Append to all media" to "Owerwrite all media".

I still have "Error 1047: No media specified" and task doesn't run.

I use GFS-20 rotation.

I want to have daily incremental backup and one day in week full backup (5 days in week).

What else can I change?
TapeDrive Killer 1 2
Trusted Contributor

I have a idea on how to do this but first I need to confirm what backup rotation will you use.

Will you still keep the 2 backups on GFS-20 or will you do something else?

Also what hardware are you working with ?

Pablo Alvarado Siles
Pablo Alv Siles
szukaczek
Occasional Advisor

Yes, I will still keep 2 backups on GFS-20.

I'm using HP Ultrium 1-SCSI and LTO-1 tapes - is this what you were asking for?