1752758 Members
4928 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Media serial number

Robin Horn
Occasional Contributor

Media serial number

I have HP Storageworks Library and Tape Tools version 4.11 installed. I have run the Device Analysis test and it stated under 'Rule 3 - Media Usage Rule' that there has been media in the tape drive that is degraded. It gives me the serial number for the media itself, but none of the data tapes (HP DDS DAT160) have a serial number written on them. How do I find out which tape has the serial number? I am using Backup Exec 12 and it does not list serial numbers for backup media.
2 REPLIES 2
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

Re: Media serial number

As there is no barcode the tool cannot match the internal SN with something external.
here are some way to identify it:
-what you can do is to run the media test, it will test if the tape is good or bad
-you probably had in the past some tape that fails the backup and then drive asking for cleaning, that tape may be suspect
-you may collect a support ticket with each tape in the drive, in the ticket you will probably see the sn of the tape actually loaded
Robin Horn
Occasional Contributor

Re: Media serial number

Excellent. Thanks for the reply.

I ran the Media Assessment tool in the HP Storageworks Library and Tape Tools on all 10 data tapes and found the one that was causing the issue.