Mounting - Drive Seeking

Hardware:

1/8 autoloader G2 Ultrium 448 LTO2
Configuration set on 'random' for loads
DPE 3.5 SP2 (patched / update
Proliant ML350G3 Windows 2003 Std
Adaptec SCSI HBA
HP LTO2 Tapes with barcodes

Occasionally when I remove media from a left hand / right hand cassette and replace it with a different cartridge, DPE media functions fail. Basically if I try to perform an erase, format, backup etc the OCP diplays:

1/8 G2 Autoldr
Drive Seek

The media does not mount nor does the storage slot view in devices update to show bar coded cartridges present. The storage slots continue report the original cartridges before the media change.

The autoloader does not flag up any problems with tapes and new tapes do not seem to make any difference.

Has anyone experienced this and solved the problem?

Gavin
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Regular Advisor

Re: Mounting - Drive Seeking

Hi GavinM:

Make sure you are using at least DPX 3.5 SP2 Build 37634 or newer. There was an issue with moving tapes from the mailslot another slot on earlier versions of DPX 3.5 SP2.

Another comment is you should only use DPX software instead of the front panel for media operations. Other than removing the cartridges to and from the mailslot. DPX needs to keep track of the tape cartridges in the library and will do this when the software controls the cartridge movement.

Dave W.

Dave W.
Highlighted
Advisor

Thanks for the reply Dave. I'm on ver 37634 already. Can you give advice about removing media from the autoloader? You say you should control everything where possible through DPE and not the OCP. I do not use the mailslot as I generally remove several cartridges at the same time by releasing a cassette. Should I issue a command in DPE to
'Remove Media'even though the cassettes will not eject or should I just unlock the LH / RH Cassettes as necessary and let it update DPE automatically?

Thanks

Gavin
Highlighted
Advisor

As an after thought, maybe I should be using the mailslot but then I'd lose one storage slot!

Gavin
Highlighted
Regular Advisor

Hi Gavin:

Try updating the firmware on the 1/8 G2 Autoloader. There were some firmware issues on older firmware versions.

You should be able to use the mailslot and/or disable using the mailslot.

Regards,
Dave W.