cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move tape fails

Highlighted

Move tape fails

When I go to operations - move tape, from slot to drive, the robot take the tape, move it into the drive, and then I hear some knocks, and later the tape is moved back to it´s slot and a message appears "Move failed". Which is the solution for this issue, please?
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: Move tape fails

Which library or autoloader? Which exact tape drive?

How are you trying to move the tapes -- through the backup application, HP Library and Tape Tools, the backup application, Command View Tape Library, the library front panel, or.... ?

--
Liberty breeds responsibility; Government breeds dependence
Highlighted

Thank you for answering.
The device is a "Storageworks 1/8 G2 Tape Autoloader". I try to move the tape through the unit´s front panel.
Later I run a Wellness Test, and received an error "Mechanical Block" in the Autoloader Error log, and in Autoloader Warnings, the error code 80 06 4D - Robot Recovery.
Then in Warnings the errors codes:
04 01 - Move to drive
87 05 01 - Tape alert flag, Invalid LUN
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

The device is a "Storageworks 1/8 G2 Tape Autoloader". I try to move the tape through the unità ´s front panel.
Later I run a Wellness Test, and received an error "Mechanical Block" in the Autoloader Error log, and in Autoloader Warnings, the error code 80 06 4D - Robot Recovery.
Then in Warnings the errors codes:
04 01 - Move to drive
87 05 01 - Tape alert flag, Invalid LUN

That is rather odd.

Has this ever worked? One thing that is important with these libraries is that it be installed correctly -- this means, either using the provided rail kit, or if a table-top model, using the provided 'feet' in the correct places on the bottom of the system. This is because a slight bow is required for the library to calibrate properly.

Is the unit under warranty? If it is installed according to the above paragraph, I'd call HP as my first line of support. I've worked with these autoloaders (and their bigger brothers in the MSL family) a decent amount, but not seen that error combination.

If the unit is out of warranty and you want to try to troubleshoot yourself, there are a bunch of tiny screw-head bolts you can remove to take the cover off (careful, as they are probably of two different sizes; keep them separate and note which go where) to look inside. It's possible that something has gotten inside the library and is obstructing the robot, or that there is damage to the robot track.

Check that the bezel is fully attached to the drive.

If you manually (literally, by hand) put a tape in the drive, does it stay, or is it immediately ejected?
--
Liberty breeds responsibility; Government breeds dependence