StoreEver Tape Storage
1753867 Members
7556 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSl 2024, Bakcup Exec, and Mailslot

K Black

MSl 2024, Bakcup Exec, and Mailslot

Has anyone have the procedure for ejecting a tape from the mailslot after a monthly backup using backup Exec on the msl 2024.

I've seen a lot of posting on this problem, but not a straight answer from the Backup Exec people of forums.

Thanks in advance. I Thought it was a simple process, I was mistaken.
3 REPLIES 3
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

I don't know exactly where it is in the Backup Exec GUI but I know that you have to go into BE and unlock the mailslot because it issues a software lock and has to issue the unlock before the library can let the mailslot open.
Debbie Lang

Below is an article that was found online. Hope this helps you out.

Backup Exec ejecting LTO 4 Tapes
Submitted by Richard Clapp on Friday, January 22, 2010
in
Backup Exec
Ejecting Tapes
Event ID 58063
LTO 4
Overly Long Backup Times
Computer Networking
One issue I ran into this past week that I had forgotten about is how Backup Exec handles LTO 4├В  tapes when it comes to ejecting the tape after the backup.├В  The latest LTO standards added some additional requirements to the tape drive hardware. These requirements added a sensor to detect if the tape is still in the slot.├В ├В  Backup Exec does not finish a backup job that ejects at the end unless the tape drive issues a notification to backup exec that the tape has been fully ejected.├В  This was not a problem on previous media (DAT72, and LTO-LTO 3 drives).├В  These older devices were not required to have the mail slot sensor and could issue the notification back to Backup Exec once the media had ejected from the drive itself.├В 
One way around this is to go into the Alerts and setup an auto-accept on the alert labeled "Please remove media from the drive."├В  This will allow your backups to complete with the media still sticking out of the slot and a lot less late nights.
├В Here is the information event under the application logs that you will receive in a situation like this:
Event Type:├В Information
Event Source:├В Backup Exec
Event Category:├В None
Event ID:├В 58063
Date:├В ├В 1/20/2010
Time:├В ├В 10:38:15 PM
User:├В ├В N/A
Computer:├В BE Media Server
Description:
Backup Exec Alert: Media Remove
(Server: "BE Media Server") (Job: "BE Daily Backup") Please remove the media from the drive.
Debbie Lang

The only way that it can be done with a library and BE12 is using a policy ... after the job completes add an Export template. The you'll need the library to be unlocked to enable access to the panel, so that user can open the mailslot.

Here is quick breakdown of how you are now suppose to eject a tape.