4310 Online
108723 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSL 6000 "Medium is Write-Protected Error"

Xishan
Occasional Contributor

MSL 6000 "Medium is Write-Protected Error"

Hello...
I have a MSL 6000 Library configured as a Fibre interface SCSI device with two Ultrium drives. I am using DP 5.
When the backup starts, the medium (tape) is loaded from the slot to drive. However once the tape is in the drive, DP gives an error

CANNOT OPEN DEVICE (MEDIUM IS WRITE - PROTECTED)

The write-protect catch on the tape has been verified...it is in no-write-protect position.
Next the DP does head verification and says OK...
Then it says

CANNOT EJECT MEDIUM ([1117] THE REQUEST COULD NOT BE PERFORMED BECAUSE OF AN I/O ERROR)

then it says

CANNOT CLOSE DEVICE (DETAILS UNKNOWN)

CANNOT UNLOAD EXCHANGER MEDIUM (DETAILS UNKNOWN)

Any ideas/solutions...
Thanx
3 REPLIES 3
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

there may be several situation causing a tape to be reported as write protected:
- if you are trying to write a cartridge that is two generation less than the drive ( lto1 in a lto3)
- if the CM (cartridge Memory) is damamged
- if the cartridge or the tape is bad

the other messages are more related to the path communication rather than to the single cartridge.

I suggest you to use L&TT to troubleshoot the drive, the cartridges and the data path
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

The reason for the trouble could also be a bad drive. Use LTT to pull a support ticket - this will give more information.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
JurajG
Advisor

# perform devbra -dev on host where the drive/changer controller media agent is used or library is configured on.

compare the setup in dataprotector whether the setup is the same -> correct.

most likely error:
since there are 2 tape drives and one changer -> the tape devices mapping can change after a sever or library reboot. The server does "walk the bus" during boot up phase and discovers and claims the tape devices in different order than these are configured in DP.

DP 5.5 has the ability to update the device paths since it uses serial number to point to the correct device. DP 5.0 or 5.1 doesn't have this ability

alternatively for future take a ride on sanconf -list -host xxx
or upgrade to dp 5.5-6