108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSL 8096 connectiity

SOLVED
Go to solution
Kranti Mahmud
Honored Contributor

MSL 8096 connectiity

Hi, we have a MSL 8096 tape library where all four drives are connected to SAN switch-2. We like to take backup of servers which is connected at SAN switch-1 (both the switches are not truncated but in the same network). My question is:

1. As we all know, robotics is connected with drive-1 of library, so is it possible to connect one drive to switch-1 and take backup of servers connected to switch-1?

2. Can we connect drive-1(where robotics attached) to switch-1 to take backup of servers of switch-1. if we do so, can we be able to take backup of servers of switch-2?

If not, then what can we do to take backup of servers connected to SAN switch-1. At present only one of switch-1 is free, SAN switches are Broacde layer-2 switch. Attached is the supportshow of both the switches.

Any suggestion from anyone?

Rgds-Kranti
Dont look BACK as U will miss something INFRONT!
4 REPLIES 4
Eemans Dany
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

So you have servers connect to san switch-1 and san switch-2.

First question;
Are they all using the same backup server and aplication or are the devided in to 2 separted environments.

If all in the same environment than the backup server is the only one needing robotics control and you can attach drv 1 and 2 to san switch-1 and drv 3 and 4 to san switch-2. Then you need to devide your library in your backup aplication so the servers connected to san switch-1 uses only the first 2 devices and the servers connected to san switch-2 uses only the last 2 devices.

If they are in 2 separated environments you can partition you library into 2 libraries.
First partition with DRV1 and DRV2 where DRV1 is owning robotics control(connected to san switch-1) and partition 2 with DRV3 and DRV4 where DRV3 is owning robotics control(connected to san switch-2).

Dany
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

to keep it simple, assume the robot and one drive is connected to one host, and the second drive is connected to a second hots.

if your backup application have agents that could manage both hosts using backup media agents, there is no problem to run backups on both drives from two different paths

The media server, (connected to the drive one with the Robot) will coordinate the backups even it it do not see directly the w drive, but only between the media agent.
Kranti Mahmud
Honored Contributor

Hi Dany,

We have one backup server and cell manager. And backup server has the connectivity in both the switches. So, as you said, I can take backup of servers connected in switch-1 and for this I need divide my library in my backup application. Please let me know how to do this.

rdgs-Kranti
Dont look BACK as U will miss something INFRONT!
Eemans Dany
Honored Contributor

Hi,

As you stated, you have on backup server with access to both switches. So there is no need to divide the library in 2 partitions.

The cell manager is the only server that needs to have access to the library for robotics controller.

Second, you connect the first 2 drives to SW 1 and the last 2 drives to SW 2.

For servers connected to SW 1 create a backup where these server only uses DRV1 and DRV2 and for server connected to SW2 create a backup to use only DRV3 and DRV4.

All the clients in DP will request tapes thru the cell manager who will load the tapes to the correct drive. The clients itself does not require robotics control.

Dany