jamalnw
Occasional Collector

MSL2024 & SC11xe degraded SCSI performance

Hi,
MSL2024 connected to a DL380G5 with an SC11xe HBA
When running the HP LTT device analysis I get:

|__ Device Analysis                                  : Passed with Warnings   
||__ version: V18.11.2008   
||__ Firmware rev B63W is up-to-date for Ultrium 4-SCSI as of Thu May 26 19:00:00 2011.   
||__ Rule 19:   
||__ The current SCSI configuration is likely to be limiting the performance of the drive.   
||__ Please check that your HBA is the correct type for the drive and that the cabling is good.   
||__ The SCSI configuration referenced is the one for which device analysis was run and/or the support ticket was pulled.   
||__ If this is not via your backup server then you may not have an issue.   
||__ Current SCSI configuration: narrow   Recommended: wide   
||__ Current SCSI transfer rate limited to: 40 MB/sec.   Recommended: 320 MB/sec. or better   
||__ There were 20 rules checked.   
||__ Device Analysis completed, and warnings have been reported.?

we have up-to-date drivers/firmware. I've replaced the external cable, the termination seams OK (green for LVD). I've connected the HBA to a standalone external rackmounted 2xLTO-4 drives and still gave me the same analysis.

I've attached the support ticket.

Any idea on what to do?
3 REPLIES 3
DavidGoeloe

Re: MSL2024 & SC11xe degraded SCSI performance

Your setup is not recommended. Please use HP U320e SCSI Host Bus Adapter (AH627A):

NOTE: Dual channel PCI-Express (PCI-e) SCSI Ultra320 HBA that enables HP StorageWorks MSL Tape Libraries to connect with HP ProLiant servers.

But before changing the hba, please check the scsi-settings in the bios.

jamalnw
Occasional Collector

shouldn't it still work? The QuickSpecs indicate that it should be able to handle tape libraries.

There aren't much BIOS settings for this HBA. only ID, initialization reset, and domain validation level. nothing else.
jamalnw
Occasional Collector
Solution

We've replaced the card with the same model (SC11xe). It seems there was an issue with the old one. Now the negotiation speed is 320MB/s.

There was a difference in the printed part number between the old and new HBAs. 

The old was LSI20320IE  L3-01130-05C

The new is LSI20320IE  L3-01130-05D