StoreEver Tape Storage
1752641 Members
5515 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MSL2024 - Drive 2 repeatedly fails

Patrick Hackett

MSL2024 - Drive 2 repeatedly fails

I have been having problems with the second (non-master) drive -- it will work for short periods of time (several hours) and then begin to fail with different messages such as:

A format inconsistency was encountered during a tape read operation on device "Drive 2".
-
Storage device "Drive 2" reported an error on a request to read data from media.

Error reported:
The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.
-
Adamm Mover Error: Read Failure!
Error = ERROR_IO_DEVICE
Drive = "Drive 2"
{C0ED9F2F-CAA9-4A75-A514-069BFA9A7329}
Media = "AA0617L3"
{4DA85E5E-200B-464A-B180-F7BCC4BE61CA}
Read Mode: SingleBlock(0), ScsiPass(0)
Write Mode: SingleBlock(1), ScsiPass(1)
-
An unknown error occurred on device "Drive 2".
-

I have disabled the RSM service, applied the universal fix from MS KB842411 (AutoRun=0), and disabled 3 HP Insight services (NIC/Server/Storage Agents). This seems to keep happening.

On the back of the device, the connections are:

I have tried other configurations but this seems to work the "best" so far.

Can anyone provide suggestions for further troubleshooting? I am using Backup Exec for Windows Server 2003 12.

Thanks in advance for any information.
2 REPLIES 2
Patrick Hackett

Re: MSL2024 - Drive 2 repeatedly fails

This happened again with these log entries from BENT12:

7:26
An unknown error occurred on device "Drive 2".

7:37
A format inconsistency was encountered during a tape read operation on device "Drive 2".

and then finally..
7:38
Backup Exec Alert: Job Failed
(Server: "MYSERVER") (Job: "MyJob") MyJob-- The job failed with the following error: A hardware error occurred.

-

Has anyone else had this problem with the MSL2024? It's otherwise a decent device.
meloni
Honored Contributor

Re: MSL2024 - Drive 2 repeatedly fails

would be good to collect a support ticket from LTT of the library, the ticket may show what is the problem, you may have a defective drive or a defective tape
---------------X-------------------X--------------------X----------------X--------------
If everything is under control, you are going too slow (Mario Andretti)