1748148 Members
3658 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MSL2024: Left magazine detected having 3 mailslots instead of one

Bjoern Rasmussen
Occasional Advisor

Re: MSL2024: Left magazine detected having 3 mailslots instead of one

... and I waited for the library to become ready with the calibration and scanning, before I grabed the support ticket.
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

Thanks for the support tickets. We have engineering looking into the issue. One thing that might help is that there is some really low level tracing information available in a service log dump available from the web interface: "Support" -> "Library Logs" -> "Save Service Dump"

If we could get one of those there will be further information that may help.
Tom Gregory_1
Advisor

Hello. This is Tom from HP's engineering team. I work along side Curtis. I have been looking into this thread and would like to advise that we recently encountered a very 'dusty' library from this family which was reporting errors until we cleaned the magazines. It is currently thought that the sensitive area was each clear plastic prizm which is part of each storage slot.
I was not sure it this was one of items cleaned during the attempts to improve operation.
Bjoern Rasmussen
Occasional Advisor

My plastic prisms (inserts/lenses) are cleaned, but it didn't have any effect in my case. Thanks anyway Tom!

You'll find my service log enclosed Curtis. Thanks!

I didn't reset or reboot anything before I dumped it. Please tell me if you need new tickets or logs, taken after any condition or status of the library!
alastair cay
Occasional Advisor

I will clean the prisms again, what about the robotic sensor would that be worth cleaning too?
Bjoern Rasmussen
Occasional Advisor

I did that, but it had no effect. If they're dusty, the light would be dimmer, but then you probably would experience problems on the right side as well.
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

Thanks for the service dump - it has been sent to the appropriate engineers. I'll update as soon as I learn more.
alastair cay
Occasional Advisor

I have cleaned the prisms again and the robotic sensor. It must have been dirt on the robotic as thats the only thing i hadn't cleaned before. The library doesn't do a recovery it shows "close mailslot" when starting up but only for a few seconds.
but appears to be working ok. I can eject magazines with no problems.
i will monitor it for a few days just in case.

Many thanks to all involved.
Bjoern i hope you get a resolution too.
alastair cay
Occasional Advisor

I got a successful backup last night after i had put everything back to the way it was before this issue started ie. re enabling the mailslot. after removing the tapes from the left magazine i get incompatible magazine and wrong magazine and it is going through recovery again. it finished quickly ie 10 minutes and not the hours it was taking.
I will try disabling the mailslot again.

Tom Gregory_1
Advisor

Hello Alastair,
Please attach a service dump collected from the Support->Library Logs tabs using the RMI (remote manager interface). The text dump contains a verbose section which can be understood the design engineers for this product. Thanks.