1748081 Members
5328 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSL4048 2 LTO-4 Ultrium 1840 FC third part control

Panozzo
Occasional Contributor

MSL4048 2 LTO-4 Ultrium 1840 FC third part control

We'd like to develo an application which controls the MSL4048.
Is it possible to control it via FTP for read and write commands?
For other commands (free space on a tape, tape name, etc.) does HP supply a documentation with the list of these commands?
3 REPLIES 3
Eric de Lange
Occasional Advisor

Hi Andreas,

You can not use FTP to transfer data to and from the MSL other than low level firmware downloads. No data manipulation.

You can write your own drivers to speak to the MSL through FCP. You'd have to program that and use SCSI commands directly to the library. Not sure if the SCSI reference manuals are publicly available through.

Anyone ?

thanks,
_Eric
Panozzo
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your replay.
Is there another way thru which my own application could control the Tape Library?
I'm looking for a way at higher level than the SCSI.
Eric de Lange
Occasional Advisor

Hi Andreas,

That depends on what you app is/does.

You can control the robot (load, unload tapes from drives etc) via e.g. MTX which can be scripted to interact with your application. (http://sourceforge.net/projects/mtx)

In order to write data from your application to the tape device you will need to incorporate some programming. In that way, you could directly write blocks of data from your app to the tape device. I am not sure why you would want that but it could be done.

You could also download tools that can write data to tape using a command line feature that can them be scripted into the app.

Again, it really depends on what/why you want to do this. If push comes to shove and you want to program you may want to read the developer information at the MS website on how to program the Windows tape driver.

regards,
-Eric