1752587 Members
5134 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSL4048 & ntbackup

Accessdenied

MSL4048 & ntbackup

Hi folks,

I have got a MSL4048 connected to a fibre switch.
Have a SAN also connected to the same fibre switch and some servers too. The servers have mount points to the SAN

I have a win2008 server running in the same network segment as the tape library.
The win2008 server is also connected to the fiber switch.

Question is, how would I operate the tape library, switch tape medias and backup the SAN mounts/partitions to the tape? I only have ntbackup for now.
3 REPLIES 3
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

I do not think NTBackup support SAN devices, you need a backup application with SAN module, that can see you device attached to Fibre Channel
S S Dillon

Hi Marino,

Thank you for the reply.

What if I mounted the san points on the backup server running the ntbackup?

But I suppose I risk data corruption, if I mount the same point on more than one server?
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

the main thing is that NTBackup is not a centralized solution, each host should have it own backup application and the own database, each host should have it own Tape drive.
what you need is an enterprise solution like DataProtector, with a cell server that may coordinate the backup, and you may have several media agents, that mean that each host, can directly backup the data (also those from the SAN) to the same library as the cell server is able to coordinate the task and share the devices