3442 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSL4048 library master drive performance issue

Rwing21
Occasional Contributor

MSL4048 library master drive performance issue

Hello,

I am having some performance issues with our new HP MSL4048 with 2 LTO4 drives. The drives will be connected with 2 SCSI HBA in the end but for now I am just troubleshooting with one HBA connected. Which ever drive is the master drive for the library, it degrades the performance of that drive to SCSI ultra 160 performance. Below is the config.

HBA: Adaptec 29320LP Ultra320 Scsi id: 7
All bios and FW has been downloaded from Adaptec

Connected to tape drive 1 via new 6 M VHDCI to HDTS68 SCSI cable provided by HP

HP Drive 1: Scsi id 4 Terminator installed on Drive 1 as well. Drive 2 has been disabled for now.

Below is the warnings from HP tape and library tools:
The current SCSI configuration is likely to be limiting the performance of the drive.

Please check that your HBA is the correct type for the drive and that the cabling is good.

Current SCSI transfer rate limited to: 160 MB/sec. Recommended: 320 MB/sec. or better

Attached is the support ticket from tape and library tool.

If both drives are connected. The drive that is not the master performs with no issues.

Any help is appreciated!
Brian
3 REPLIES 3
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

From you posting it sounds like you have tried changing which drive is the master and if the drive is running 320 w/o being the master and then changed to being the master the performance drops to 160 w/o any other configuration changes. Is that correct?

Have you tried a shorter cable? 6 meters is pretty long for U320 although it can work.
Rwing21
Occasional Contributor

The solution ended up being a LSI logic Ultra 320 card with dual controllers. Even though the Adaptec cards were on the approved HBA list, the HP tech said that they have seen issues with Adaptec cards.
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

Thanks for the follow up. I'll look into whether the Adaptec qualification needs updated. There could be specific drive or firmware requirements that we need to capture.