Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MSL4048 LTO3 does it supports LTO1 tapes from FujitsuSiemens Ultrimu Library

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

MSL4048 LTO3 does it supports LTO1 tapes from FujitsuSiemens Ultrimu Library

Helleo Everybody

We are going to upgrade our Tape Backup to a HP MSL4048 LTO 3. At this point we have a FujitsuSiemens Ultrium Library. My question is. will the MSL4048 be able to read our old media LTO 1 or ?

Regards

Lasse
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: MSL4048 LTO3 does it supports LTO1 tapes from FujitsuSiemens Ultrimu Library

The LTO-3 drives in the MSL4048 are read compatible with LTO-1 tapes from any LTO tape drive. Note though that if the tape is marginal that sometimes only the drive that wrote it can read back the data but that is pretty standard tape behavior.
Highlighted

Re: MSL4048 LTO3 does it supports LTO1 tapes from FujitsuSiemens Ultrimu Library

Hi,

I have an old server with a Scalar 100 ADIC with LTO-1 SCSI drives and a new production server with a HP MSL 4048 Serie with Ultrium LTO-3 drives.
I am trying to read my old tapes that were written with Veritas Netbackup 3.4 with Symantec Netbackup 6.0MP5 but it fails when running the import : "ERR - Unexpected EOF on archive file" and "ERR - Unexpected EOF reading image. The image information is not complete."
In my case, I don't want to do any change on my production server.
I engaged the Symantec support and after having done a series of tests they believe this is a compatibility issue between the old LTO1 and new LTO3 drive.

Any help would be very appreciated.

Cheers,

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

The last comment posted on this thread doesn't really go with the original subject and would be best on it's own thread but I'll comment some.

The situation described of trying to restore tapes from an LTO-1 in an ADIC library using an LTO-3 in an HP library is worst case. It's very likely that the ADIC library was using IBM tape drives which write in the same format as HP and are compatible but the interchange gets more difficult over different generations. If the original drive was worn and wrote data near or outside of the margins of the spec that drive can recovery the data but it is going to be difficult for another LTO-1 drive to read the data and an LTO-3 drive is really going to have problems.

There isn't going to be much we can do in a forum environment to help with this but your tape drive support contacts may be able to help get information back to the drive team so that they can determine if the LTO-1 tapes are written within specifications.

If this were my system given the large differences in drive technology I would probably try to use my old library and my ISV tape-to-tape copy function to migrate my tapes to new LTO-1 tapes written in the new drives or if the ISV supports it onto LTO-3 tapes.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

There is something you should know and may be it is causing you the problem:
in the past years Microsoft changed some components of his software and modify the Tape.sys drive limiting the communication to 64 KB blok size. NetBackup used in the past the Tape.sys from Microsoft during backup.
what happens is that previously, there was no limitation to the block size, and most administrators set a 256K block size when writing to tape, this for perfomance reason.
If you now try to read these tapes with the limitation of 64K you may have similar problems.
I didn't follow up about patches, and corrective actions they goes on later, but if you have such an old tape, this may be the cause. Ithink that contacting NetBackup support may clarify if you fall in such a situation
---------------X-------------------X--------------------X----------------X--------------
If everything is under control, you are going too slow (Mario Andretti)