StoreEver Tape Storage
1751791 Members
4777 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSL5026 firmware update not possible from L&TT

MSL5026 firmware update not possible from L&TT

Library & Tape Tools are currently only avabliable in version 3.5 Hotfix 1 and 3.5 ServiceRelease 1, both will not access my MSL5026. When I click the icon L&TT reports error when loading device diagnostic functions. Has very old firmware 1.21 (latest is 4.30), I think this is the problem. How do you firmwareupdate via webinterface since I dont have RS232 cable for MSLUTIL ? Manuel just say "upload firmware file to ipadress/upload" but not how. Called HP 2.level support (nordic) but they don't know.
4 REPLIES 4

Found the solution my self, this is just to share with others.
Setup an IP adress on the library and connect to its IP adress within a browser ie. http://172.16.0.5 you will be prompted for level 2 password. This is set via MSL frontpanel and factory default is "2" you will find firmware under the menu functions. Choose between local and remote. Remote is a nonexisting ftp at overland.com, local is a corner of the MSL NVRAM where you can upload firmware. Connect to library with at ftp client ie. Totalcommander 172.16.0.5/upload with account "anonymous" and 1 level password where "1" is factory default. The .frm firmware from L&TT will not be accepted, found a .bin firmware here :
ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/products/msl5000/
Once this file is uploaded disconnect ftp connection, connect to library management interface with the browser and go thru with the firmware update. Once I got i to firmware 3.19 the L&TT program no longer reported errors for device. L&TT was used to update firmware further to level 4.30. Hope this will help some one.

As far as I can tell this procedure can also be used for firmware downgrades.
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

Could you please recheck and see if L&TT will work now that you have updated your firmware?

If you could send an email describing the problem along with a zip file containing the contents of the "HP StorageWorks Library and Tape Tools/logs" directory to "ltt_team@hp.com" then the team can take a look at this problem.

The files in that directory are named "EventLog" and they contain traces of the commands sent to the library.

Old unclosed thread. As I recall I had no problems with functions within L&TT after forcing the the library to a supported firmware.