1748154 Members
3644 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSL5026

CA1098172

MSL5026

It seems the tape library keeps toggling between offline and online.

Here is the eventlog id from the application log.

SCSI Tape Drive Status Change.
The tape drive with SCSI target 1 connected to SCSI bus 1 of the controller in slot 2 has a new status of 5.
(Tape drive status values: 1=other, 2=ok, 3=failed, 5=offline, 6=missingWasOk, 7=missingWasFailed, 8=missingWasOffline)

Whats happening
6 REPLIES 6
CA713937
Honored Contributor

How is the library attached to the host?

This could be a SCSI (or fibre channel) connectivity issue.

Are you using a support HBA?

Are there any error indicators in the MSL front panel?
The journey IS the reward.
CA1098172

There is no errors on the front panel of the library.

The library is connected to a HP 39160 pci dual scsi card.
There is a promise scsi terrabyte drive connected to a Adaptec 29160 scsi pci card.

I do every once in awhile get a error on the front panel that reads something like this. you cannot open the library doors because there is a scsi prevent allow command preventing you from. Not sure if it is related. To correct this i go into Backup exec v9 and say unlock library.

CA713937
Honored Contributor

> The library is connected to a HP 39160 pci dual scsi card.

OK, that's a supported HBA.

> I do every once in awhile get a error on the front panel that reads something like this. you cannot open the library doors because there is a scsi prevent allow command preventing you from. Not sure if it is related. To correct this i go into Backup exec v9 and say unlock library.

That's normal behavior - the backup apps like to lock the magazines to prevent inadvertent change in media.

Can you view your system event log and see what messages are logged around the time of the offline problem? You can export a text version of the event log.
The journey IS the reward.
CA989818
Advisor

You will also get this msg when the doors are opened and closed, check the times and see if this is what's causing it.
CA1098172

There are no other events in the event log. Only a few hundred 1192 events. It goes from status of 2(ok) to a status of 5(offline) every four minutes. We start the backup in the evening at 5:00pm and it takes usually around 14 hours to complete lately for 200 gigs of backup. It might be so slow though becuase of the ide terrabyte drive that is connected through the other scsi card. I know that the terrabyte drive is a slow raid 5 system.

turboBOOST
Visitor

I have a similar problem, did anyone ever find a solution for this?