1747984 Members
4901 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MSL6030 and LTO2 - RSM not detecting autoloader

Duncan Simpson

MSL6030 and LTO2 - RSM not detecting autoloader

Hi,
We're having a strange issue with our MSL6000.
In device manager, it shows BOTH the medium changer and the tape drive.
In removable storage it doesn't show up a library, just a tape drive.
Looking in the registry there is an entry for Changer0 against the library device, but nothing for it under the RSM associated area.

We upgraded the firmware to the latest, no effect. Upgraded to latest drivers. We took the SCSI card out of the server and put it in a different (blank) server, connected the library and drive up, installed Windows and still the same problem.

I don't think it's SCSI controller at issue as device manager shows both medium changer and library up.

I tried fudging the registry on this server (following guidelines from microsofts support site) to set the Changer0 to not autodetect, in an attempt to manually force it in, which worked to a degree - it put the library in RSM, but the tape drive would not show up inside it.

I've been scouring the internet trying to find something useful for this for a while. Now I give up in frustration. Hopefully someone out there can offer some help with this.
4 REPLIES 4
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

Re: MSL6030 and LTO2 - RSM not detecting autoloader

I would suggest you to download and run the LTT, that is the HP diagnostic for Nearline products
With the tool you can run tests, and collect logs, this will allow you to understand where the problem is

http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/storageworks/ltt/index.html?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN
Duncan Simpson

We had been using LTT already (it was requried to upgrade and downgrade the firmware).

The LTT itself has no problem with the hardware. It can communicate to everything, and all tests come back positive.

In device manager, we can still see the changer/loader and the tape drive, but RSM still cannot see them.
Duncan Simpson

Correction - RSM cannot see the auto loader, but it can see the tape drive.
Eemans Dany
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Perhaps stupid of me, But RSM (removable storage service) is used with NT backup (Windows backup).
To my knowledge, nt backup does not support libraries, eventough it loads and unload the tapes in the drives.

I have not much expirance with nt backup so i could be wrong.

Dany