4763 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Multiple issues with 1/8 G2 Auto Tape Loader

Chrysalid
Occasional Contributor

Multiple issues with 1/8 G2 Auto Tape Loader

Hello,
I've been experiencing problems with my tape loader - that have gone from bad to much worse.

Over the last few months, the need to clean the tape drive has become constant. It went from needing cleaning every 6 or so months, to every few weeks, to every time it's used.

Now tapes seem to get stuck in the drive? (Backup Exec software gets stuck on 'Load' until I cancel).
Inventory shows every tape as bad now.

I ran the HP StorageWorks tool, and as a result upgraded the firmware.
Now I get the following error when running the LTO Drive Assessment Test:
The Short Erase operation failed to complete.
Byte2 0X3 SenseCode 0Xc SenseQUal 0X0 (Write error) ErrorCode 0x5083

Any suggestions??

Thanks in advance,
Amber

8 REPLIES 8
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

Post an L&TT support ticket here so we can get a better idea what is going on. Is there anything unusual about your environment? Any dust, clorine, other? What manufacturers tapes are you using?
Chrysalid
Occasional Contributor

Thanks!

I've attached the L&TT support ticket.
Nothing unusual about the environment - it's worked fine for a long time.
The tapes I'm using are mostly fujifilm Ultrium 2 tapes (the same ones I've always used). Some are hp brand.

Amber
Chrysalid
Occasional Contributor

Hello,
I don't seem to be getting a reply here.
Can someone point me to a forum or some other form of support that may be able to help me?
Thanks!
Amber
Casey Erdmier

Amber I've had similar problems. What brand tapes are you using?

My experience is it only happens with HP brand tapes though. My TDK tapes work fine. I've experienced this with multiple firmware revisions. That's all in insight I have.
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

Your support ticket shows that the tape drive is completely unable to read the tape that you were using with it. All of the history shows the same tape being used.

My best guess is that you got some abrasive media and it has sandpapered the drive head until it can't read. We have found some non-hp media that is more abrasive that it should be and can ruin heads.

If you have tried the drive with other tapes and it is failing with them as well then you'll have to get the drive replaced.
Chrysalid
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the help!
I put a different tape in, ran the same test and am posting the results.
I'm assuming I need a new drive?
Cheers,
Amber
ONEfixhp

Hello Amber.
HP SmartBuy 1/8 G2 Ultrium 920 Bundle
I do not think the drive inside this 1/8 g2 is good any more , as per support ticket you have provide ├в the drive is no longer recommended for used use├в , the heads are worn off, this drive are design with a self cleaning feature, and they should be clean only when the cleaning light comes on, other ways it is clear indication of failure on the heads.

The spare part # for that internal drive is ├в 435247-001 Ultrium 920 internal tape drive assembly - LTO3, half-height form factor - Includes sled

You may contact an HP reseller or HP directly to purchase this part.

MAINOR.
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

I agree - the head on this drive is worn out. I wouldn't expect that with a drive that amount of use to be worn out but something has caused it to fail. Normal defect failures are a head channel not the complete head but these logs make it look like the whole head is worn out.

My best guess would be that somewhere you got some really abrasive media (the drive hasn't been cleaned excessively) or there is some environmental contamination (chlorine in the air, dust, etc).

Since the drive hasn't been cleaned excessively you could load your cleaning tape and run 8 or 10 times and see if it makes any improvement but from what I see in the logs I doubt that will be successful.