Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

narrow vs Wide

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

narrow vs Wide

Hello there,
my SCSI-3 tape reports strange warning issues which I don't know how to solve. I've searched around the web and here but a practical solution could not be found.
The error is the usual:
__ Device Analysis : Passed with Warnings
||__ version: V07.02.2008
||__ Firmware rev G65W is up-to-date for Ultrium 3-SCSI as of Mon Feb 12 19:00:00 2007.
||__ Rule 19:
||__ The current SCSI configuration is likely to be limiting the performance of the drive.
||__ Please check that your HBA is the correct type for the drive and that the cabling is good.
||__ The SCSI configuration referenced is the one for which device analysis was run and/or the support ticket was pulled.
||__ If this is not via your backup server then you may not have an issue.
||__ Current SCSI configuration: narrow Recommended: wide
||__ Current SCSI transfer rate limited to: 40 MB/sec. Recommended: 320 MB/sec. or better
||__ Rule 20:
||__ There are indications that the drive is experiencing a high polling rate on the SCSI Interface.
||__ This could be due to RSM or it could be due to another host.
||__ High polling rates can interrupt the normal operation of the drive, and significantly reduce performance.
||__ There were 20 rules checked.
||__ Device Analysis completed, and warnings have been reported.

well, I checked the cables and everything is ok
I set the M$ patches and I think that part is ok
I don;t know how to set this wide/narrow thing. I tooked a look inside the HBA configuration at the boot but everything is set to have the maximum transfer rate

thanks.
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Frequent Advisor

Re: narrow vs Wide

Hi,

i hope this can help someone in the future

my part of the wide vs narrow was like this

Current SCSI transfer rate limited to: 5 MB/sec. Recommended: 320 MB/sec. or better

Driver update for the HBA has resolved it.

So firmware and driver update seems for me from now on as a much better idea and advice.

Regards
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Hi Alaxa what HBA are you using ? If you are already using a U320 then the problem might be the expasion slot where this HBA is. The expasion slot must be 133MHz also the tape drive must be alone in the bus.

plase attact the support ticket.

Pablo Alvarado Siles
Pablo Alv Siles
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Hi
so, my HBA is a 1ch-U320 SCSI (part n. 374654-B21) and was bought from HP.
It's a PCI-X card and was installed into slot PCI#6, which is at 133Mhz.
further suggestions :) ?

Highlighted
Frequent Advisor

Hi alaxa,

1. if you have a proliant server, which i suspect - update with latest FW maintenance cd and with the proliant support pack
2. falsh the FW of the drive + update the driver , check out which is better for your backup SW -> the ISV or the HP driver
3. Then think about HW
3.1 check cable - bent pins + try other cable if possible
3.2 check the terminator if such is available( external drive) if it is internal drive ( try other cable)
3.3 can you try the tape drive on other Host or other controller
3.4 can you try other tape drive on this host-> if yes pull a support ticket -> check out what s going on with the SCSI configuration
4. about the high polling rates -> stop anything that is "ping"ing your drives -> all kinds of services, like RSM , Backup serverices, proliant storage agents and so on

I hope this helps you

Regards

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

> 1. if you have a proliant server, which i

Hi,
it's a sun v40z. I've posted here because it's an HP library.
Everything inside the library is up to date,

> 3. Then think about HW

I tried switching the two cables I have, the one that goes to the drive and the one from the drive to the library, I have also connected the drive alone, with no library with each cable one at a time and it's still 40MB/sec

>4. about the high polling rates -> stop >anything that is "ping"ing your drives -> >all kinds of services, like RSM , Backup

I set the registry patches to avoid such polling
Unfortunately I cannot test into another server neither with another drive, But I know that other drives in our school are working perfectly.
Do you think it is possible a sort of conflict between of internal SCSIU320 and this HBA, that have the same ASIC inside and so the same driver?

thanks
Highlighted
Frequent Advisor

Hi

this was new info for me.

ABout the Sun servers, i have found this one

http://www.hp.com/products1/storage/compatibility/tapebackup/ThirdParty/index.html#SUN

According HP the supported controllers are the SUN HBAs:
1 Sun Ultra320 SCSI PCI-X HBA (SGXPCI2SCSILM320-Z)
2 Sun Ultra320 SCSI PCIe HBA (SG-XPCIE2SCSIU320Z)

Any possibility to test the drive with any of them? By HP you can sometimes (rarely) get a part for test purposes(in case you are stick with the troubleshooting), can't say whether this is aslo so with SUN

Regards