Go to solution
bennethos
Advisor

Need advice on ESL712 errors

Hi all.

I need some advice concerning the following :

ESL indicates :

6U CARD CAGE FAN :

Card cage 12V Warning (out of threshold) ACTUAL : 11V (it should be between 11.4-12.6

Card cage 3.3v Inoperative no actual value , state CRITICAL

card cage bottom enclosure fan (RPM) NO ACTUAL VALUE , STATE CRITICAL

card cage bottom power supply fan (RPM) NO ACTUAL VALUE , STATE CRITICAL

card cage top enclosure fan (RPM) NO ACTUAL VALUE , STATE CRITICAL

---------------------------

Alle the fans in the 6U cage are working FINE (the double 90x90 fan works fine).
I even replaced the 2 psu's one by one in the 6 U top cage, still have the same problem.

I see 2 problems, the voltage that is too low and inoperative for the 3.3v.
And the FAN RPM's that can't be seen/measured (maybe related to the 1st problem.)

My question, what advice can you give me on how to proceed.
I was thinking about changing the whole 6U TOP CAGE cause there's some electronics in it, but it's soo expensive I want to be sure :p (we don't have a maint contract with HP).

thx for the advice
12 REPLIES 12
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

Re: Need advice on ESL712 errors

It appears as if the library has thrown events on almost everything in the 6U top cage. That would suggest that rather than there being problems with any particular item, the communications with the cage must not be working correctly somehow. It may be the communication link between the card cage and the main controller or it could potentially be that the controller in the 6U card cage is failing.
melc

This is most likely a communication problem between the Cabinet Controller (CCB) and the 6U CC, being that several unrelated components are listed as failing. I would start with the ribbon cable that goes between the two and be sure that it is properly seated at both ends and there is no cable damage. If this does not fix the problem, then, the cause has to be in the 6U CC or the CCB.
bennethos
Advisor

Hi guys,

thx for all the help sofar.

I checked the serial cabling.. You can't plug it in the wrong way in the 6U card cage.
It enters the robotic controller in the bottom of the ESL712, same thing, you can't plug it in the wrong way.

I checked the whole cable it's OK .
But it could be somethings wrong in that robotics controller too of course ?
Before starting to order parts I would like to find something that gives me more certainty, the parts cost a lot of money :p
bennethos
Advisor

Ok I got my new 6U top card cage.

Did a full poweroff, installed it (it contained 2 new psu's & new double 90x90 fans), everything booted fine but I still see all previous errors in the webinterface...

My question, how can I reset all the counters/errors on the tape lib ?

btw I found no problem with the serial cable, you insert it in the wrong way...

cheers
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

The logs don't clear, the errors just move back in time.
bennethos
Advisor

For the sake of clarification I took 2 screenshots of the hp commandview tl :

bennethos
Advisor

2nd screenshot

Help is appreciated !

Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

Could you use CV-TL and pull a library support ticket then post it? We need to match what it has with what is reported by CV-TL.
melc
Solution

Another possibility you could try, especially if these errors started after some work was done on the Cabinet Controller. Check the two ribbon cables coming from the cardcage and the AC Failover. If they are swapped you can get similar errors. The one that I recently saw had a slightly different signature. The cardcage ribbon cable should be plugged into Cabinet Controller connctor J30 just below the fans and the AC Failover ribbon cable should be connected to J17, near the robot umbilical cable.