New Discussion юеВ

Re: new Ultrium 448 ext and problem with backup job

SOLVED
Go to solution
Adam Jozwicki
Advisor

new Ultrium 448 ext and problem with backup job

Helo,
I have a problem with new LTO-2 tape drive. I have Win 2003 Std and Data Protector Express software. When I configured scheduled job with tape rotation the job holds on "opening device" status when I come back next day. If I try do something from remote desktop access on server with installed Data Protector Express it won't help stop or pause job. When I log in console on this server I can stop this job and re-run. Then, this job run properly. I didn't exit with Data Protector Express, only log out.
8 REPLIES 8
Lewis Finch
Honored Contributor

For starters, make sure you have removable Storage service disabled in services. It wants to own the driver for this device and can prevent DP from working correctly.
"You can't lead the orchestra without turning your back to the crowd"
Adam Jozwicki
Advisor

Yes, I had this service disabled. The next day I have the same problem. Maybe it is problem running two instancec of Data Procector Express? (Locally on console and on remote account). I simple logout from this utility from both accounts, not exit. When I pause nad resume scheduled job on console account the jobs starts. When I'll do the same with remote account nothing goes on. Both accounts has admin rights.
D Lancaster
Honored Contributor
Solution

Adam,

Which version and edition of Data Protector Express are you running? Are you running the full, purchased edition or the Single Server Edition that came with the tape drive?

If you are running the Single Server Edition, running instances simultaneously under two users is likely the problem. The software is meant to only run on a single server and therefore, only one instance at a time.

Exit both instances of the GUI and then stop and restart the service - dpwinsvc. Always exit the GUI when you are not using it.

DL
Adam Jozwicki
Advisor

Yes, I have the one version that I got with my tapedrive. I did what you said and I hope that tomorrow backups jobs will work correctly. By the way - there is no dpwinsvc service, but dpwinsdr.exe.
Adam Jozwicki
Advisor

I am very angry :/ This backup utility doesn't run scheduled jobs when even when I leave one instance Data Protector Express and I logoff from it. Today, when I back go office I saw still "opening device" status scheduled job. What is going on? I logoff user from console and I had only one istance of this aplication on Remote Desktop user.
D Lancaster
Honored Contributor

Please contact your local country HP Support for additional help. The phone numbers can be found at http://hp.com/go/support

Adam Jozwicki
Advisor

This jobs still won't run. If I upgraded this software to 3.5 sp1 version, in installation proccess I had choise to install component allow run Data Protector Express Single Server via Remote Desktop. I'm very puzzled, because I thought I could manage this software via Remote Desktop, not only on console.
Adam Jozwicki
Advisor

I'm tired of this stupid software, everybody - don't buy this crap! Above problem will not solved - I know the reason (software does not run backups when you work on remote desktop accounts). When I called to HP support they told me that I have not buyed sofware technical support (!). HP - shame of you! NTBackup is better sofware than that included in Ultrium tape drive!