6077 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Problem with LTO - data Protector Single server Ed - HP ML380 G5

Goran Dzelajlija
Occasional Contributor

Problem with LTO - data Protector Single server Ed - HP ML380 G5

Hello,

I have a huge problem with backup procedure.
I am using HP LTO-2 Tape device contected to HP ML380 G5 ( W2K3 SP2 - Full patched) with HP Data Protector Single server Edition v3.5 sp2.

Actualy, when i create some backup procedure ans start i got messages ( attachment) after a while ( around 70% od process) " Error -1401: alert - Please insert compatible media).

After 10 days of trying everthig to troubleshoot i got nothing. Everytime same messages.

I found on this forum that other people had a same problem but without clear solution.

Please, help me asap. I don't have backup at all...

Thank you in advance
4 REPLIES 4
TapeDrive Killer 1 2
Trusted Contributor

Re: Problem with LTO - data Protector Single server Ed - HP ML380 G5

How Big is the Job ? Maybe you choose over Write mode >>> append to all media or the job is bigger than the media size, can you attacht the job log ?

Pablo Alvarado Siles
Pablo Alv Siles
Atanas
Advisor

Hi, Goran, i suspect that you are using DL 380 G5 and an external Ultrium 448 or 460. I have some additional questions. Do you use Schedule for your backup or you are making full backup each day? How many tapes do you use? For example on monday you have to use "monday tape". If you are trying to make new backup job on used tape ("monday tape" and trying to make backup on "tuesday tape")than the 1401 error will occur. You can try one erase job and than full day backup.
Goran Dzelajlija
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

Thank you both for fast reply...

I'm just in process of backup... after change that i did, TapeDrive killer told me, ( Maybe you choose over Write mode >>> append to all media) i got it good. But after all, i started a new process a few hours ago and i got another messages...

Atanas,

I have a HP Ultrium-2, because it is on remote site i'm not 100% sure witch model it is, probably 448...

I try to schedule i try to start manual and nothing.. but, as i said, after change settings i got first backup job done..

After all, i started second job and got another messages.. i will post print screen soon...

The Neighbor

Tape drive Killer is correct..
==============
Change Mode
(Backup jobs only)

Determines what action Data Protector Express will perform when it fails to find the media it was expecting to use for a job. When Data Protector Express runs a job, if the job uses specific media, Data Protector Express scans the network for devices with that media. If it does not find the media it expects, its response is determined by the Change mode setting.
The Change mode is either Force to append to end of media or Prompt for another media.

Force to append to end of media: Instructs Data Protector Express to append data to whatever media it finds in the designated backup device. If it cannot find the correct media, Data Protector Express appends data to whatever media is available. This option will ensure that the job runs, if the media contains enough room to complete the job.

Prompt for another media: Instructs Data Protector Express to continue to scan for the expected media and to send an alert warning that the proper media has not been found. This option will not allow a job to run with any other media except with the expected media. Additionally, this option will not search for another device that might contain the proper media.
===========
You may get the same error when doing restores, on that scenario make sure you are using the correct media and also that you are choosing the correct version for the restore.

Good luck !!