StoreEver Tape Storage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about back-up process moving to mail slot.

Highlighted

Question about back-up process moving to mail slot.

Hello all!

Let me explain our process. Every night I run a backup at 3:00 am and finishes around 4:00am. From there once the back-up is completed I need to move the tape that was backed-up to the mail slot so that our on-hands at the data center can put the tape into a vault. When they come to pick-up the tape they will also insert a tape from the night prior. How can I accomplish this so it happens on rotation with the backup? Any help would be appreciated.

More info: We are using DPX 4.00 SP-1 (Build 56906) with a Hp 1x8 G2 AutoLoader and HP Ultrium 3-SCSI
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Question about back-up process moving to mail slot.

Hi,

So, I am not sure if 1x8 G2 has supported mail slot in DP ? I have some G2 and G3 installed, but I am not sure for now.
So, if yes you will must make script for this. No option is available for this.
Use omnirpt command from GUI or from CLI and export medium used by this datalist for previous xx hours. After this use grep slot location for this medium and run omnimm -eject for eject to slot.

Petr

Petr
Highlighted

Thats sort of what I was afraid of. It doesn't seem to make sense. DPX does however support the import/export slot (Mail Slot). The main issue I was having was putting the tape that was read into the slot, this seems like something people would do often as day to day back-up is a normal method of backing up.
Highlighted

Also I saw you mentioned greping location. That would mean we are running Linux which sadly were not. I don't understand why the software doesn't have this ability built in. I can move items there manually via the tool, but not through the scheduler and there is no logic it seems int he software so that it knows which tape is the newest that needs to be put in.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Hi Jesse,

excuse me mistake.

I spoke about DP, no DPX. This product I doesn't use ...

best regards,

Petr
Highlighted

Bump.

Does anyone else have suggestions or have used DPX and used the mail slot for daily rotation?

Any information would be great!

Thanks.
Highlighted
Frequent Advisor

Hi Jesse,
Are you using a Windows server to manage your DP execution ?

We use a Win2K8 server with an MSL4048 - ok - it's a different device, but the logic would be pretty much the same I suspect.

Find attached a ZIP which contains a Windows Eject routine (.bat) and an Enter routine (.bat + .vbs). The scripts I have to admit are not the best, but its better than nothing.

Hope it helps some - obviously you'd need to customise for your own needs.

From memory, the scripts were sourced from the ITRC sometime ago.

Cheers,
Cameron