108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Re-using SCSI drives.

SOLVED
Go to solution
Occasional Contributor

Re-using SCSI drives.

Hello, experts!

I own a 2001 ML-370 G2 server with a Smart 5i plus controller, six 300 GB SCSI disks and a Ultrium 448 tape on board.
I would like to migrate to a newer server but I'd also like to re-use disks and tape as they are fairly new.
I thought an MSA attached to the new server could be a viable solution, but they all seem uncapable of supporting these drives; any suggestions ?

Thanks in advance.

2 REPLIES 2
TTr
Honored Contributor
Solution

The drives that you have are Ultra2 or Ultra3 SCSI and almost everything today is either SAS or SATA. Even if you find some hardware form HP to support these, (MSA30, SA6404, 6402, 642, 641), you would not get tech support from HP. So it depends what kind of server you would use these in. I would not recommend doing this with a formal production server. If it is a personal server or development server you should look for SCSI enclosures to put the bare drives in (you would remove them from the bracket) and also look for a SCSI or RAID controller to fit your new server (PCI-X or PCIe). Examples in
http://www.scsisource.com/scsi_enclosures/
This web site is for illustration only, I have not bought anything from them neither I endorse them. Google using "SCSI enclosures" for more. If you have many drives consider two enclosures or one dual bus enclosure so you can connect each enclosure or bus to separate buses on a raid controller for better i/o.
Occasional Contributor

Thank you very much for your quick and helpful answers.
It now looks almost uneconomical trying to re-use the disks, although I hope to recycle the tape drive anyway, as it is a recent unit.

Thanks again !