1748224 Members
4492 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Recovering data from DAT tapes generated on different OS

JDConsulting
Visitor

Recovering data from DAT tapes generated on different OS

I had a HDD crash last week and replaced it with a new one (same Windows XP OS) and reloaded HP Data Express 3.5 to find out that I'm unable to perform any recovery from the backups that were generated with the OS on the crashed drive.  Is there anyway to recover the files from the DAT tapes even if I forgot to specify a "generic" backup before running backup on the crashed drive?

Here are my specs:

Windows XP Professional SP3

HP Data Protector Express 3.5

HP StorageWorks DAT 160 SCSI Tape Drive

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

James Dunn

7 REPLIES 7
thomasr
Respected Contributor

I'm confused -- did you run Data Protector Express to generate the original backups, or ntbackup (or some other application)?   You will need to use the same application to performa  restore.

Exactly what steps are you taking to try to read the tape, and exactly which errors are you getting?

Have you selected the tape and run an inventory or import (I forget which Data Protector Express calls it)?  This is an important step to let the new installation of the backup application know what data is on the tape.

--
Liberty breeds responsibility; Government breeds dependence
JDConsulting
Visitor

Hello thomasr,

I used Data Protector Express 3.5-sp2 to perform the original backups on the crashed HDD.  I reinstalled this exact same software onto my new HDD with the same Windows XP OS.  So, to answer your question, I'm using the exact same software and build version. 

Simply, I launch the software than insert a tape.  I, next, run the restore wizard.  The media is not recognized.  So, I next run the Media Content wizard to see what's on the tape.  I receive the following error:

Element Status: Invalid-Not in Database

So, you're right, I need to run a utility to have the data recognized. However, I'm unclear if I'm to run a Restore Catalog or Import.  The support documentation is not very clear on this.  Also, there doesn't appear to be an inventory feature in this software.

That's about all I know at this point.  Unfortunately, this version of software is no longer being supported and I'm at the mercy of this support group for any feedback.

Again, thanks for your help and let me know if i've answered your questions.

thomasr
Respected Contributor

I believe you want to "import" these tapes --  but if that doesn't work, it won't hurt, and you can then do a 'restore catalog'.   I'm sorry that the documentation isn't better, and that you're having trouble getting support.    

If you have time to hold off, I can find out for sure tomorrow (Tuesday).

--
JDConsulting
Visitor

Again, thank you for your help.  From the documentation it's not clear whether I need to perform an "import media" or "restore catalog".

I do have some time to hold off.  So, if you're able to find out more specifics in how I can do my recovery, I'd be extremely grateful.

thomasr
Respected Contributor

Perform an "import" first to populate the database, and then you may have to run a “move “ restore job since the original system is no longer available.

--
JDConsulting
Visitor

Hello thomasr

Thanks for your help.  Yeah, I wasn't clear that I had to perform an import first so the admin would see all the files on the tape.  Then I performed a restore which put all the files back into the directory structure that had been backed up from the crashed drive.  My new drive is exactly structured like my crashed drive, so I didn't have to perform a move.

So, I'm able to restore all my tapes, now, and I'm good to go!

Thanks, again, for your help.

thomasr
Respected Contributor

Happy to help.

The Data Protector Express team strongly recommends upgrading to the current version 5.0.

--