Re: SAN library LTO3 shows NO_HW

SOLVED
Go to solution
Fabio Ettore
Honored Contributor

I also found options on ioscan command to check the real status of the lunpath:

ioscan -P health -H

Anyway I'd suggest checking diagnostic log files if they have events for tape drive.

Good luck and let us know if the story gets develops, just for future experience ;)
WISH? IMPROVEMENT!
Andrew Young_2
Honored Contributor

Hi Fabio

The library is an older MSL5060 (one of the old rebadged Tandberg units) that we have upgraded to LTO3.

The disabling did not occur as part of a manual process. I did however find the following entries in the syslog:

Mar 9 11:22:47 hostname vmunix: class : lunpath, instance 10
Mar 9 11:22:47 hostname vmunix: Evpd inquiry page 83h/80h failed or the current page 83h/80h data d
o not match the previous known page 83h/80h data on LUN id 0x0 probed beneath the target path (class
= tgtpath, instance = 6) The lun path is (class = lunpath, instance 10).Run 'scsimgr replace_wwid'
command to validate the change
Mar 9 11:22:47 hostname vmunix:
Mar 9 11:22:47 hostname vmunix: An attempt to probe existing LUN id 0x2000000000000 failed with err
no of 14.
Mar 9 11:22:47 hostname vmunix: class : lunpath, instance 10

From this it looks like when the drive was replaced, the WWID change was not detected or corrected in the configuration.

Everything is now operational again. Thanks for everybody's assistance.

Regards

Andrew Y

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes
Fabio Ettore
Honored Contributor

Hi Andrew,

great that the problem is solved, so I understand you issued

scsimgr replace_wwid ...

to solve it. Well done!

Regards,
Fabio

WISH? IMPROVEMENT!
Andrew Young_2
Honored Contributor

In summary, HP-UX 11.31 uses WWIDs for all devices and when any SCSI hardware (including tape drives) is changed the WWID will change as well.

Note as well that DP 6 uses the DSF addresses for 11.31 devices and therefor the device ID will change. Update the configuration!

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes