1748143 Members
3630 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

SC44Ge HBA & Ultrium 920 SAS drive - LSI_SAS Errors

SOLVED
Go to solution

SC44Ge HBA & Ultrium 920 SAS drive - LSI_SAS Errors

I am running a DL385 G5 with an SC44Ge HBA connected to an external Ultrium 920 LTO3 drive.
Server is running Windows 2008 Std Ed 64Bit, HP PSP 8.30 and Backup Exec 12.5
HBA driver is 1.28.2.1.C
BIOS 6.18.5.0
FW 1.23.43.0
Ultrium Drive FW Q24D
Backups fail after 15GB with multiple I/O errors, LSI_SAS Event ID 11 errors, Backup Exec errors 33152 & 57665.
From searching around the forums this seems to be a known issue with these sort of configs & HBA cards. There was talk of a new FW from HP etc.
I have attempted to upgrade the FW to Q25W using HP Tape Tools but it says it is not valid for my drive.
What is the definitive fix for this issue and is it workable on Windows 2008???
Any responses or advice appreciated!

10 REPLIES 10

Re: SC44Ge HBA & Ultrium 920 SAS drive - LSI_SAS Errors

I have attached a support ticket from HP Tape Tools to provide further info.
Vernny
Advisor
Solution

Hello Justin, I hope you're doing well.

Event ID 11 is very generic event that can be caused by many things like OS apps, HBA driver version, firmware in drive, etc. There is some steps you can try in order to have it resolved:

- Verify that Removable Storage (RSM) service in Windows is disable, if not, start it, then stop and after disable it. Win2k8 and Win Vista usually doesn't come with RSM installed, but it would be good to verify if you have it.

- Also HP Management Agent has some services that is recommend to have them disable in order to avoid pulling to your drive. In Windows services disable the following:
HP Insight Storage
HP Insight NIC
HP Insight Server
HP Insight Foundation
HP Insight Event Notifier

- For PSP 8.30 apply this advisory which is to "disable fiber agent tape":
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c01229672&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

- I was able to check that latest firmware in LTO 920 SAS Ext. Drive is C24D. Let me know which version is showing LTT when you try to download latest firmware. Attach you will find the latest firmware.

Try those fixes and test the unit to verify if issue reoccur.

Thanks for the prompt response.

I can confirm that the RSM function is not installed on this server.

I have tried stopping all the HP agents on the server and running a backup but the same errors are logged. However I have applied the fix in the advisory you referenced, so will try this step again.

LTT says I am running the latest FW for my drive, namely Q24D. When I scan the FW file you attached it says 'wrong personality' and will not run the update. The same applies for the Q25W FW which I saw mentioned in another post.

I have the exact same config on another server which I have yet to test, so I am installing Backup Exec on this 2nd server to see if I get exactly the same issues. This will hopefully rule out any faulty hardware.
Vernny
Advisor

Hi Justin,

I have some questions:

Are you using Backup Exec drivers in Robot and Tape Drive?

After you stopped HP Insight Services, did you disable them? If not, please stop them and after disable them. A reboot might be required.

Run a LTO Drive Assesmente Test in your tape drive, try using a new media. If it fails, run it again with different cartridge (new if possible).

Regards,
Vernny D.

Hi Vernny,

I am currently using the Symantec tape drivers but I have also tried this with the HP / MS drivers with the same result.

I have now disabled all HP related services and have had a brand new tape inserted, so I will see if the errors still persist.

I am also just about to set a backup up on the 2nd server which is a brand new install of Backup Exec 12.5 SP2 using the standard drivers.

Running any sort of test from within HP LTT results in an I/O error and fails.

I will update with the results shortly.

Just to update..

The problem server still had the same errors when running a backup, after stopping and disabling all HP related services.

However the 2nd server ran an initial backup without any errors at a decent backup rate!! This is running all the same config with the same FW etc but using non Symantec drivers.

Replaced the Symantec drivers on the problem server, rebooted and ran another backup but still got multiple errors.

Have arranged for a replacement HBA and cable to be delivered on Thursday as it is now looking like a hardware fault.

Will see if this resovles the issue completely.
Vernny
Advisor

Hi Justin,

After replacing the cable and HBA errors stopped?

Regards,
Vernny D.

No unfortunately the engineer only brought a replacement HBA in and the errors still persist after swapping it in. We are waiting for them to replace the cable too, to rule out both hardware components.

I will update once this has been done.

Thanks

We finally received a replacement cable from HP and I'm please to report that all of the errors have now stopped and the backups are running successfully. So it definitely looks like it was a faulty cable.

Thanks for you help with this issue.