StoreEver Tape Storage
1753759 Members
4680 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Shared SCSI tape - Ultrium2 works, Ultrium3 doesn't?

sgadsby_1
Occasional Advisor

Shared SCSI tape - Ultrium2 works, Ultrium3 doesn't?

I have a couple of sites where we have set up a shared SCSI channel via Adaptec SCSI adapters with different IDs. Either end of the bus is terminated at each of two servers that form an MSCS 2-node cluster.

This works great for Ultrium 2 tape drives,
however it does not work for Ultrium 3 tapes!

Any idea why?

If I connect both an Ultrium2 and an Ultium3 onto the same bus, then:
* I can successfully read and write to the Ultrium2 from either server.
* I cannot read at all from the Ultrium3, from either server.

I think the termination is ok (SCSI cards have jumper for hardware termination - works even if server is offline).

So I wondering if there is a difference in the tape drives from generation 2 to 3 that you know of that might be causing my grief?

Thx for any insight,
Simon.
4 REPLIES 4
CLin_1
Regular Advisor

Internal or External?
SCSI 160 or 320?

Are you reading/writing data from both tape drives at the same time?

Same bus... so daisy chain right?
sgadsby_1
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for your reply Chun Lin,

External SCSI320. Config:
SVRA <--> Tape1 <--> Tape2 <--> SVRB

I have problems with the LTO3 - and I have the same problems if I remove the LTO2 from the chain and just test the LTO3. LTO2 works fine in all configurations.

If I connect the LTO3 into one server only with an active LVD terminator on it, it works fine.

S.
larry mak

hi:
i work in a bank and i also got a problem like this, it happen on LTO1 and LTO3 chain together. no matter wut kind of CSCI card u using. i have try this on 5i extenal SCSI channel and HP Single Channel Ultra320 SCSI G2 HBA. LTO3 not working all the time when u chain with LTO1 in any SCSI ID or chain position.

Its work perfectly on individual.

BTalvin

The SCSI-OUT connector is only used when daisy-chaining two devices. Do not daisy chain
Ultrium 960 tape drives. Up to two Ultrium 460 tape drives may be daisy-chained, but is not
recommended. If you do so, install your tape drives on an Ultra 320 SCSI bus. Similarly, up to
two Ultrium 230 drives may be installed on an Ultra 160 SCSI bus. Do not mix drive families.

Pls refer.
http://bizsupport.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00262412/c00262412.pdf
I think it should helpful.