108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Smart Array 6402 always requires to press F1 to continue

SOLVED
Go to solution
Shuji
Occasional Advisor

Smart Array 6402 always requires to press F1 to continue

We have an ML370 G4 server with Smart Array 6402 as its RAID controller. It has 2 SCSI ports. Port1 is used by the RAID array with 5 HDs configured as RAID5. Port 2 was used by an Ultrium 960 tape drive. I needed that tape drive for another server so I replaced it with an Ultrium 460 with a SCSI ID set to 5.

The server and backup software can recognize the new tape drive but each time I reboot the server and after the 6402 controller does a search for SCSI devices, it would halt and give me 3 choices. The 1st choice is to press F1 to continue. Unless F1 is pressed, it will just stay there forever.

This is going to be a problem if the server is restarted remotely because the server won't continue booting until somebody presses F1. Is there a way to configure Smart Array 6402 to boot the disk array without displaying the prompt screen?
10 REPLIES 10
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Smart Array 6402 always requires to press F1 to continue

Is there a messages on the screen?

AFAIR tape drives are not supported on this controller.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Shuji
Occasional Advisor

Here's the message on the screen.

Slot 1 HP Smart Array 6400 Controller
Tape or CD-ROM Drive(s) Detected:
SCSI Port 2: SCSI ID 5

Press "F1" key to continue
Press "F9" key for ROM-Based Setup Utility
Press "F10" key for System Maintenance Menu
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

See

http://www.hp.com/products1/storage/compatibility/tapebackup/ISS/Detail/16-0029-0057.html#CONTROLLERS

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

Trygve Henriksen
Respected Contributor

Connect the drive to another SCSI controller such as the built-in controller.

Also, consider getting a ILO card for the server. That way you CAN press F1 remotely, and see the error messages. ;-)
(NEver ever set up a server on a remote location without a ILO card)
Shuji
Occasional Advisor

Trygve,

Yes, I think that will work but I need to buy a SCSI controller. The iLO would also be a good workaround just to press F1 to continue but I also need to buy an iLO advanced license. The solution I'm hoping to find is to continue using the current Smart Array 6402 controller with Ultrium 460 without having to press F1 each time I boot. If the previous drive (Ultrium 960) worked on the 6402 controller, I believe the Ultrium 460 should also work.

Shuji
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Some smartarray controllers support tapes and libraries, some tapes only, no libraries and finally some supports disks only, no tapes or libraries at all.

Supported or not does not mean working or not...

However, there is anywhere a setting in RBSU to "press" F1 on its own, just to proceed without your action.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

Shuji
Occasional Advisor

Torsen,

Is this what you want to point out from the link you posted?

"The HP ProLiant ML370 G4 (Retired) does not have a suitable integrated SCSI controller for connecting the HP StorageWorks Ultrium 448 SCSI . Please use one of the following compatible HBAs: "

The Smart Array 6400 is an Ultra320 SCSI. It was previously used by my Ultirum 960 tape drive. I'm still trying to make Ultrium 460 work with it. If I can't, I'll look into purchasing a dedicated SCSI controller.

Shuji
Shuji
Occasional Advisor

Torsen, you are the man! Your hint about the F1 setting in BIOS led me to understand and fix the problem.

I made a big troubleshooting mistake here. I thought it was the 6400 controller that's causing messages to be displayed. I was wrong. It just happened that the controller's search for SCSI devices is at the end of the POST. The BIOS was displaying the message because one of the power supplies was unplugged. Instead of disabling the POST F1 Prompt option in BIOS, I just plugged the PS to an outlet. I could also follow your recommendation to disable that option.

Thanks to all you helped, especially to Torsen!
Trygve Henriksen
Respected Contributor

No, you DON'T NEED an advanced license.

Sure, they're nice, but the most important difference is that with the advanced license you get access to the Graphical view. That is, that you can control it after it has gotten as far as starting the GUI of your Server OS.

It will still allow you to play with the power button and watch/control the boot process while in text mode.

Also, some versions of ILO cards 'comes with' the advanced stuff enabled.
(The card for the later ML110 series servers, all Blade servers, stone age models... )

For me, the cost of a ILO-card is paid off with the first trip I don't have to take to check a server.