StoreEver Tape Storage
1748070 Members
5193 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: No space left on device?! support ticket attached!

SOLVED
Go to solution
bmop
Occasional Advisor

I really appreciate you all taking your time to help me with this!

I've tried, but I have no idea how to attach a support ticket. I've tried many different ways. I've changed permissions/ownership of the .lzt file and hp_ltt executable. I  tried with Firefox on Scientific Linux 4.8 and Ubuntu 10.04, and IE on Windows 7.

I can't attach anything, xml, lzt, doc, zip, nothing.

When I save the lzt file in the LT&T tools program, I save it as "supportticket" and it comes out as "supportticket.lzt". When I just specify a folder, it's saved only as ".lzt". When I don't specify anything, it's saved as /opt/ltt/logs/st_HPUltrium_4-SCSI_20101103_140550_HU18292L66.lzt.

I only mention this because I've noticed in other posts when people were able to successfully attach the .lzt file, it was named something like 123456.lzt.

I've looked through quite a few posts, and it appears many people thought they attached a file but actually didn't, like this -

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Tape-Backup/Ultrium-920-SCSI-400GB-tapes-reporting-full-when-only-200GB-of/m-p/2311856/highlight/true#M20330

Or where they knew it wasn't attaching, but couldn't get it to work (first 3 posts in this thread, I even followed the snarky directions in the 2nd post from Shiva Babu!)-

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Tape-Backup/Slow-restore-speed-from-Ultrium-920-External-SAS/td-p/1158652

To be fair, several people were able to attach files, so perhaps I'm just doing something embarrassingly wrong?

When I click "Post" after attaching the file, the browser just reloads the page. The message is still intact, but the file is no longer listed in the attachment form. I assume the same thing happened to other people, but they didn't notice and just clicked "Post" again which posted their thread/reply without the attachment.

It doesn't seem like this should be complicated (I've used this form many times, as have all internet users).

So I'm stumped.

As for the tape, I think the reason it may show a low load and read/write count is because I installed the latest firmware while troubleshooting the problem, shortly before I posted on this forum. I read on another post on this forum that installing new firmware erases the old logs.

Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

I think we got it fixed - sorry about the problems you had posting.  Can you try again?

bmop
Occasional Advisor

Ok it works now! I attached the support ticket to the initial post (and this one, so you don't have to go back!) and deleted the two posts with the text version.

Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor
Solution

Unfortunately your logs are showing signal quality degradation across the head channels.  That doesn't seem right with no more use than the drive has but that is what it shows.  There is quite a bit of variation across tapes but none were at capacity.  The best in this log was at about 75% capacity.

Poor signal quality across multiple tapes some of which were almost brand new indicates that either the head has been contaminated or something has caused premature head wear.  With the number of new tape used and the amount of data transferred to those I would have to guess that it is premature head wear but I don't see anything that would explain to me why.

I would have to recommend contacting HP support.

bmop
Occasional Advisor

I contacted HP Support and they concluded the head was bad. The drive is still under warranty (they come with a 3 year warranty), so they're shipping me a new one with return labels so I can return the defective one.

Thanks for all your help!